Search site
Main menu
Main menu
Breadcrumb navigation
Breadcrumb navigation

Additional Resources

Planning appeals

Information on how to make an appeal and how to find decisions and submitted appeals.

Question mark

Making an appeal

You have the right to appeal if you are seeking consent or permission to carry out particular works to your property or land (such as building an extension or a new house) and your application:

  • is not decided within a set period (usually 8 weeks); or
  • the local authority refuses your application; or
  • grants it subject to conditions with which you disagree

Appeals are made to the Secretary of State, and the Planning Inspectorate (based in Bristol) administers these appeals.

Only the original applicant can make an appeal. There is no right of appeal for interested people or organisations (known as 'third parties') that may be aggrieved by a planning decision.

You can also appeal if the local planning authority has served you with an Enforcement Notice.

You must make your appeal within six months of the decision date, or the date by which you should have received a decision, or before the date upon which an Enforcement Notice takes effect.

Appeals must be made on a form obtained directly from the Planning Inspectorate:

The Planning Inspectorate,
Customer Services,
Room 3/05,
Temple Quay House,
Temple Quay,
Bristol BS1 6PN

You may also make your appeal online via the Planning Portal..

When we receive confirmation of an appeal we will notify in writing all those that were originally consulted on the application, or that made representations, or who may be affected by the development. The written notification will include details of how to make further representations and the deadline for submissions. 

All correspondence relating to appeals must be sent directly to the Planning Inspectorate.

View submitted appeals and decisions

You will find details of submitted appeals and copies of appeal decision letters since May 2003 in the appeals register search , or the general planning application search.  You may also wish to search through the Planning Inspectorate's search facility on the Planning Portal.

Appeal documents, including the grounds of appeal and corresponding appeal statements, are available to view at the Civic Centre in Uxbridge during normal office opening hours. It is advisable to contact the council beforehand to make sure that the documents are ready for you when you visit.

If you require any further information regarding appeals please contact the planning department at or telephone the Customer Contact Centre on 01895 250230 or 01895 556765. 

Did you find what you were looking for?

Thank you for your feedback.