Search site

Additional Resources

Planning changes and law updates

Find out what changes or updates have been made to all planning applications and their process.

This affects extensions, house alterations and paving over of front gardens.

Attention householders

Permitted development rights for all householder developments were altered on 1 October 2008.

The new legislation changes the criteria for permitted development, i.e. development which does not require planning permission. Controls were introduced on paving over of front gardens, with planning permission required for any new area of hardstanding over 5 sq.m, unless the surface allows water to drain away naturally.

'The Planning Portal' has developed visual guides for householders which outline common household projects.

Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs)

From March 2013, Hillingdon Council has made changes to the planning rules for Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs).

Read more

New rules governing house extensions and commercial changes of use

The key changes include allowing the following without the need for planning permission.

Note: If you want to carry out one of the above you will still need to notify us of what you want to do and in most cases will need to seek prior approval.

Full details of the criteria and procedure are contained in the legislation and on the Planning Portal's Website

Apply for planning permission (Planning Portal website) »

Tree Work legislation

All new applications are required by law to be made on a national tree work application form.

Any new application that is not submitted on the national tree work application form, or is incomplete, or fails to include the required documentation, will be invalid.

Applicants will have the choice of submitting their application on a paper or electronic form. The electronic form is hosted by the Planning Portal.

The national tree work application form (and guidance notes) will be available to download on this website after 1 October 2008.

If you require assistance, please contact London Borough of Hillingdon Contact Centre on 01895 250230.


Is there anything wrong with this page?

Help us improve this website by telling us:

What were you doing?

What went wrong?

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.