Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Housing Act 2004

The Housing Act 2004 gives us new powers to make sure that properties are safe and suitable to live in.

The powers may also apply to empty properties.

Read the full document

These changes came into force in April 2006. For more information, see the Housing Act 2004.

Summary of the keys powers

Powers of entry

these allow us to enter a property to inspect it if you refuse to let us in (we have to give you at least 24 hours' notice). If you stop our officer from getting in, we may get a warrant to enter from the courts. This allows us to force our way in if we have to.

Power to require information

we can serve notices asking for certain information, for example, about who owns a property. This allows us to act to improve the property using the other powers described.

Hazard-awareness notices

these will make sure that you or the person responsible is aware of a danger and the need to carry out repairs or alterations

Power to serve notices

we can serve improvement notices when work needs to be done to improve living conditions for occupiers or neighbours. The work we specify depends on the conditions we find and what the law allows us to do.

Powers to enter a property and carry out work (emergency remedial action)

if you do not carry out work to the standard specified by a notice, we have the option of doing the work and charging you for it.

Power to take over managing properties

there are a number of reasons why we may do this, including not being able to issue a licence or if a property has been empty for a long time

Power to close a property (prohibition order)

we would issue this notice only after we had carried out a detailed assessment to decide the best course of action to deal with a seriously substandard property. We might close a property where improvements are too expensive or the condition of the property is too bad to repair. The notice would mean that nobody could live in the property.

Power to order a property to be demolished or an area cleared

this is done in similar circumstances to closing a property.

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related column
Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 13 Dec 2017 at 10:48