Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Apply for an environmental permit

You must have an environmental permit if you operate a regulated facility in Hillingdon. Find out why and when it is necessary for a business to hold an environmental permit

License summary

A regulated facility includes:

  • installations or mobile plants carrying out listed activities
  • waste operations
  • waste mobile plant
  • mining waste operations

Listed activities include:

  • energy - burning fuel, gasification, liquification and refining activities
  • metals - manufacturing and processing metals
  • minerals - manufacturing lime, cement, ceramics or glass
  • chemicals - manufacturing chemicals, pharmaceuticals or explosives, storing chemicals in bulk
  • waste - incinerating waste, operating landfills, recovering waste
  • solvents - using solvents
  • other - manufacturing paper, pulp and board, treating timber products, coating, treating textiles and printing, manufacturing new tyres, intensive pig and poultry farming

Listed activities are divided into three categories: Part A(1), Part A(2) and Part B.

Part A permits control activities with a range of environmental impacts, including:

  • emissions to air, land and water
  • energy efficiency
  • waste reduction
  • raw materials consumption
  • noise, vibration and heat
  • accident prevention

Part B permits control activities which cause emissions to air only.

The permit your business requires depends on the specific processes involved and resulting emissions.

Permits are available from the Environment Agency or the London Borough of Hillingdon (the regulator) depending upon the category your business falls within:

  • Part A(1) installations or mobile plants are regulated by the Environment Agency.
  • Part A(2) and Part B installations or mobile plants are regulated by the London Borough of Hillingdon, except waste operations carried out at Part B installations which are regulated by the Environment Agency
  • waste operations or waste mobile plant carried on other than at an installation, or by Part A or Part B mobile plants, are regulated by the Environment Agency
  • mining waste operations are regulated by the Environment Agency

How to apply 

Fees and charges

Fees for all applications - 2016 - 2017 [207kb]

We aim to acknowledge your application within three working days. If you have applied online we will acknowledge your application via e-mail. You can apply online:

Apply for a Part B Environmental Permit (opens in a new window)

Apply for an A2 Environmental Permit (opens in a new window)

Notify online of a change to your existing permit

Notify a change to an existing Environmental Permit (opens in a new window)

Pay online for your annual subsistence charge

Pay annual subsistence charge (opens in a new window)

What happens next

To find out more about the Environmental permit application process [80kb]

  • the application reviewing process
  • timescales for processing your application
  • if your application is refused
  • or any complaints


Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related column
Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 22 Aug 2016 at 13:41