Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Universal Credit

From 02 November 2015 some people living in Hillingdon will need to go online to claim Universal Credit.


What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is a new benefit for people of working age on a low income and is administered by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). It is a single monthly payment which will eventually replace:

  • Income Support
  • Income Related Job Seeker's Allowance
  • Income Related Employment Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit/Child Tax Credit

Do I need to claim Universal Credit?

People and families already claiming any of the benefits listed above don't need to do anything. You will continue to receive your benefits and will be told when Universal Credit affects you.

How to claim Universal Credit

If you don't have internet access at home, you can use a computer free of charge at Uxbridge or Hayes Jobcentre or at any of Hillingdon's 17 libraries.

If you don't know how to use the internet or need extra support to get online there will be advisors on hand at Jobcentre Plus in Uxbridge and Hayes.

To make a claim for Universal Credit you'll need:

  • your National Insurance number
  • details of the bank, building society or Post Office account you want Universal Credit paid into
  • your tenancy agreement (if you have one)
  • details of your savings or other capital
  • details of any income that's not from work (an insurance plan for example)
  • details of any other benefits you're getting

You might also need these details for your partner and other people who live in your home.

Universal Credit is paid monthly into a bank account. Claims for Universal Credit cannot be backdated except in exceptional circumstances. If you are eligible to claim you need to make your claim straight away.

If you have any queries about your claim you can call the Universal Credit helpline:

  • Telephone: 0345 600 0723
  • Textphone: 0345 600 0743

Advice about Universal Credit

Budgeting on benefits or low income can be challenging. If you want more information on Universal Credit or you are worried about managing your money or you're already in debt, Hillingdon Citizens Advice (CAB) provides free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to everyone on their rights and responsibilities.

Find out more information on Universal Credit via Citizens Advice​ »

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 30 Oct 2015 at 10:37