Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Housing Benefit changes for those living in social sector rented properties

From April 2013, 'working age' people living in accommodation deemed to have more bedrooms than they need get less housing benefit.

Family pic mum dad and baby

From April 2013 , 'working age' people living in accommodation which is deemed to have more bedrooms than they need will get less housing benefit. This is a government measure to address the issue of people receiving help with their rent and living in a property which is larger than they need; when people elsewhere may be living in over crowded conditions because there is not enough social housing available.

  • If you have 1 extra bedroom, the amount of rent used to calculate your Housing Benefit will be reduced by 14% 
  • If you have 2 or more extra bedrooms, the amount of rent used to calculate your Housing Benefit will be reduced by 25%

When working out if you have any spare bedrooms, one bedroom is allowed for the following:

  • each adult couple
  • any other adult (aged 16 or over)
  • any two children under age 10
  • any two children of the same sex aged 10 to 15 inclusive
  • or for any other child

We will not take any other rooms into account when this is worked out, only bedrooms.
Hillingdon has sent a letter to those who may be affected. The letter tells you what information we have about your household and accommodation and how you are likely to be affected. If the information we hold is correct you may wish to consider the following:-

  • A move to smaller accommodation - you should talk to your landlord to see if this is possible.
  • How you will pay the rent - your reduced Housing Benefit will be paid as it is now. It will be a decision for you and your landlord how the remainder of the rent is paid.
  • A move to the private rented sector - you may wish to discuss this with your landlord or local authority.
  • Ask non-dependants living with you to contribute to the rent.
  • You may feel it viable to take in a lodger to fill what is considered as an extra room in your house. The lodger would be assessed as part of the household, meaning you would not necessarily be considered to be under-occupying. However, you should discuss this option with your landlord first.
  • You may have the option of increasing the hours you work to bring in more income to make up any shortfall in rent.
  • Apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment. This is a fund administered by the local authority for those they consider in real need of additional help with their housing costs.

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related column
Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 24 Jul 2017 at 15:41