Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Major works

Help, advice and information on major works and paying for them.

Man carrying out a house repair

What is major work?

Major work includes projects like refurbishing the roof, painting the outside of the block, installing or upgrading security systems.

Why charge me for major work, on top of the service charges I already pay?

The day-to-day maintenance cost you pay, included in the annual service charge, covers minor repairs to shared areas of the block or estate, for example, blocked drains, a leaking roof, faulty lights, mending dangerous paths and so on. Work such as decorating the shared areas and re roofing is not covered by this annual service charge and is carried out as part of a separate maintenance programme. The costs will be shared between all flats in the block.

Consulting you before work is carried out

Whenever we are going to charge £250 or more, we will always consult you. The Commonhold and Leasehold Reform Act 2002 clearly sets out what we must do. The legal requirements can vary, depending on the planned contractual arrangements for carrying out the work, but we will always consult you on the extent and cost of the planned work. We will provide you with a plain English summary of the legislation when we consult you.

Can I do some of the work myself?

In some cases (for example, work to the windows or doors to your flat) we may agree to allow you to do the work yourself, but you must get our permission, for which there will be a charge. You may need to sign a legal agreement. Read more»

Paying for the work

When we consult you about the work, we will enclose a leaflet setting out the different ways to pay and  other help available to you. If you have any particular concerns, even before work starts, please contact the Risk Management Team.

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 07 Oct 2016 at 09:23