Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Moving in or out of Hillingdon

What you should do if you are moving in or out of Hillingdon as a council tenant.

You may need to move home for many reasons, the most common reasons being:

  • your home is too large or too small
  • you are changing jobs
  • you wish to be nearer to your family
  • you wish to move to sheltered accommodation

Moving within Hillingdon 

Applying for a transfer

Tenants wishing to transfer should contact homeless prevention team for information on the transfer scheme and how to apply.

We try to make sure the best use is made of council properties, therefore applicants wishing to transfer are given priority with this in mind.

We consider the following factors:

  • Under-occupation (having more bedrooms than you need)
  • Over-occupation (not having enough bedrooms because your family has grown)
  • Medical reasons [34kb] (your present home is unsuitable because of disability or serious ill health)
  • Supported living including sheltered accommodation for older people who would benefit from the support of a warden, a call alarm system or 'extra care".

Moving from your home

Moving temporarily

If you need to go away for longer than six weeks, let your housing officer know. If you want someone else to live in your home whilst you are away, contact your housing officer to find out whether you need permission.

Remember to:

  • leave a forwarding address and contact number
  • turn off your gas, water and electricity
  • run your taps after turning off the water, to empty the tank and avoid burst pipes
  • arrange for your rent to be paid while you are way. If you receive Housing Benefit, contact the Housing benefit office in case your benefit is about to be reviewed or in case your absence causes any problems with your benefit.
  • It is important you make your intentions clear to us or we may decide you have abandoned the property or rented it out to someone else. If we think this is the case we can repossess the property and evict anyone living there.

Ending your tenancy

If you wish to end your tenancy, you must tell your housing officer, in writing, at least four weeks before you leave. This four-week notice time must end on a Monday. In exceptional circumstances we may consider accepting a shorter period of notice.

If you leave your home in a damaged condition we will bill you for any repairs and/or decorating needed to put the property right. 

Things to remember:

  • your rent is paid up
  • the property is clean and tidy
  • the garden is tidy and the grass has been cut
  • turn off your gas, water and electricity. Run your taps after turning off the water, to empty the tank
  • take all your things with you and clear any rubbish from the property including roof spaces and outbuildings. Anything you leave behind, we will get rid of and charge you for doing it.
  • get final readings and bills for:
    • gas
    • electricity
    • water (if you have a metered supply)
    • telephone
    • cancel newspapers, cable TV and other deliveries such as milk
    • notify work, DSS, bank, building society, Council Tax, credit cards, catalogues etc.
    • divert post (Royal Mail can arrange this for a small weekly charge)
  • return all keys to your local area housing office by noon on the Monday your notice expires, together with your new address and contact number

Moving in to your home

The allocations officer at the area housing office will ask you to sign your tenancy agreement and given you a tenants' handbook before you take on your new home. Your tenancy agreement also tells you your weekly rent and when it needs to be paid each week. Keep all these documents in a safe place.

You need to make arrangements to take over:

  • gas
  • electricity
  • telephone 
  • We will advise you if your property has a water meter fitted. If it does you will need to make arrangements to take over this supply.
  • Unless you are moving into sheltered housing, you should tell TV Licensing your new address, call 08705 246246 or write to TV Licensing, Barton House, Bond Street, Bristol, BS98 1TL.
  • council tax and housing benefit sections at the council (if relevant)

If the property has been empty for a while, it can take several days to have supplies connected. Emergency connections may be possible but usually cost extra.

We usually expect tenants to move in straight away and live in their home continuously from then on. If you cannot move in immediately, you should discuss this with your housing officer. There may be a risk of damage to the property, or there may be problems with benefits you are entitled to.

If you let us know what's going on, we can help you avoid problems. If you have any questions about your home, rent, tenancy agreement, your housing officer will be pleased to answer them. If you need to claim Housing Benefit, an arrears recovery officer will be able to help you do this when you sign your tenancy. You should claim straight away, as claims cannot usually be backdated.

Your housing officer will visit you about six weeks after moving in to check you have settled in and answer any questions you have about your new home or services we provide.

Read more on moving »

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related column
Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 27 Jun 2017 at 10:49