Apply for housing
Apply for housing
If you're looking for a place to live, a council property could be the answer - although you'll probably have to wait for one. Find out who is eligible for council housing and how to apply.
What is council housing?
Council housing is property that is owned by the council.
There is high demand for council housing and you'll normally have to join a waiting list (known as the 'housing register'). Joining a waiting list doesn't guarantee you a property and you may have to wait a long time - even years.
How to apply
You'll need to complete an application form and join a waiting list.
If you give false information in your application (for example, claiming you have children when you don't) you're committing housing fraud. You may be taken off the waiting list and even taken to court.
Who can apply
You can normally apply:
- if you're 16 or over and live in the borough
- people not subject to immigration control
- out of borough residents can join the register on the lower band D unless there is a specific need to live in Hillingdon
You can't normally apply if:
- you've been responsible for serious anti-social behaviour
- you owe money to another council or housing association - for e.g, unpaid rent
- if you're a British citizen who doesn't normally live in the UK you may not be eligible to apply for housing straightaway because you're not 'habitually resident' in the UK. Check with your council
- if you're not a British citizen you can get information about settling in the UK from the UK Border Agency.
About our home finder scheme
- Read more about our home finder scheme (Locata)
- Bidding time runs from Friday 9am to Wednesday at 2pm
- Some properties are restricted, e.g. for elderly or disabled applicants. It is important you check before you bid so you don't waste your bids
- All available properties are advertised every two weeks on the Locata website
Locata awareness sessions
If you have difficulty understanding the scheme, how to apply or how to place bids, contact the Housing Needs Reception.
If you are interested in attending a Locata awareness sessions contact the housing needs team to arrange a booking.
Everyone on the housing register is sent an annual review form each year on the anniversary month of their housing application date.