Search site
Breadcrumb navigation
Breadcrumb navigation

Additional Resources

Tables and chairs licence

To place tables, chairs or other temporary furniture on the pavement, you require a licence from the Council.


Tables and Chairs Licence summary

A licence is required to place tables, chairs and/or other furniture on the public highway, including pavements, for the purposes of serving food and/or drink.

Eligibility criteria

The following conditions will apply for the grant of a Tables and Chairs Trading Licence. For full details, however, you should also see Hillingdon's Terms and Conditions - Street Trading [93kb]

  • A Tables and Chairs Licence shall be a Temporary Licence. A Permanent Licence may not be issued to a Trader who applies for a Tables and Chairs Licence;
  • A copy of the Tables and Chairs licence must to be displayed in the window of the premises outside which trading is permitted. The copy licence is to be displayed so as to be clearly visible and legible from the street;
  • Only those commodities sold in shop premises can be served under the Tables and Chairs Licence;
  • Only those services provided within the premises can be provided in the licensed area where a licence permits tables and chairs to be placed on the street;
  • It is a specific condition of a Tables and Chairs Licence that monetary exchange or payment cannot be made in the Licensed Street Trading Pitch;
  • The dimensions of a Licensed Street Trading Pitch shall be such that a minimum of 2m clear of any obstruction shall be maintained on the Public Highway for the safe pass, re-pass and free flow of pedestrian and vehicular traffic;
  • No receptacle, display or tables(s) or chair(s) shall at any time be permitted to obstruct an entrance or exit to any adjacent premises or to any part of the building to which the Temporary Licence applies that is under separate occupation;
  • Temporary barriers of an approved type must be in situ during licensed hours and the same must be removed outside of the hours permitted by the licence;
  • A Tables and Chairs Licence is not transferable.

Regulation summary

made by the London Borough of Hillingdon pursuant to Section 27(3) of the

Application evaluation process

The London Borough of Hillingdon must:

  • give Public Notice of the application detailing the proposal and deadline for representations;
  • consider all received representations;
  • consult with any other relevant authorities;
  • not unreasonably withhold consent.

On submitting an application for a licence or an application to renew a licence, the applicant may be asked to provide the following to the Council:

  • Two passport sized photographs of the Licence Holder with the Licence Holder's signature on the back;
  • Two proofs of Licence Holder's home address and two proofs of the Licence Holder's business premises address. These should be no older than 3 months;
  • Documentary proof of the Licence Holder's National Insurance Number;
  • Public liability insurance certificate;
  • Documentary proof of a commercial trade waste agreement;
  • Risk assessment;
  • Proof of planning consent where necessary, or evidence of appropriate planning consents/or letter stating it is not required;
  • Proof of ownership or other right to occupy the premises to which the shop front trading application relates;
  • Such proof of having carried out consultation as may be required by the council;
  • Location and site layout plan;
  • Furniture appearance - sketch/photograph/manufacturer's brochure showing furniture proposed;
  • Premises licence (if applicable). 


If you wish to renew your licence, you must submit an application no later than two months before the expiry date of the licence. We may reject a renewal application received less than two months prior the expiry date of the licence and you will be asked to apply for a new licence.

What happens if your application is not processed by the local authority within the timescales stated?

Tacit consent applies. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the Local Authority by the end of the target completion period. If we have not contacted you, please get in touch with us. You can do this online if you applied through Business Link or contact the  Licensing Services Team.

Please note, however, that tacit consent will only apply for applications that you submit electronically or when your business can show proof of delivery from a post office or recognised courier. More information about tacit consent is available at:

Target completion period

We will process your application as quickly as possible and, in any event, within the following timescales:


Processing Times

Tacit Consent

Application for a permit to place tables and chairs on the pavement or road

60 calendar days


Application to change a permit to place tables and chairs on the pavement or road

90 calendar days


How to apply

Apply online:     EU logo (small) : This link opens in a new window

An online application will require you to register with Business Link - a quick, easy process that gives you an online account that you can use across different government services.

We aim to acknowledge your application within three working days. If you have applied online we will acknowledge your application via e-mail.

Help (small)

Help is provided about online applications.

Application forms:

Fees and charges

Failed application redress

Please contact the  Licensing Services Team in the first instance.

An appointed arbitrator will determine if the authority have unreasonably withheld consent.

Licence holder redress

Please contact the  Licensing Services Team in the first instance.

An appointed arbitrator will adjudicate if there is disagreement as to conditions attached.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint, the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice consumer service will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress

If you need to complain about e.g. noise, pollution, etc. or should one licence holder complain about another, please contact the council's  Contact Centre in the first instance.


Is there anything wrong with this page?

Help us improve this website by telling us:

What were you doing?

What went wrong?

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.