Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Advice for landlord and tenants

Information and advice for both landlords and tenants.

Female on the Telephone


If you require general advice on landlord/tenant problems, rights, types of tenancy and responsibilities, evictions, notice to quit, see our landlord engagement pages. If you require specific legal advice you should contact a solicitor.


The council works in partnership with the Citizens Advice Bureau and The Navigator Centre.

Single and under 25

If you require housing advice on finding accommodation contact the homeless prevention team or the P3 Navigator Centre in Yiewsley. P3 Navigator are a Hillingdon funded service providing advice for young people including: Housing and homelessness, accessing specialist services, dealing with debt, mental and physical health, education and employment, addiction issues and relationships. Contact them on (01895) 436114.

Single and over 25

If you require housing advice on finding accommodation contact the homeless prevention team.

Private rented/Housing Association tenants

Private rented or Housing Association tenants should contact housing advice for advice and options.

Regardless of age or status, if you need advice or help with:

  • rent arrears problems
  • eviction including illegal eviction
  • harassment
  • disrepair issues

contact the housing advice.

General advice and assistance on these matters is available from:

Hillingdon Law Centre
12 Harold Avenue
Hayes, UB3 4QW
Telephone 020 8561 9400
Email them at info@hillingdonlawcentre.co.uk.

Further information

I cannot afford my rent/mortgage

If you are unable to pay your rent or mortgage or in arrears, you should contact your landlord or mortgage lender to explain your situation and try to reach an agreement.

Your rent/mortgage payment should take priority over other debts as non payment could result in you losing your home and becoming homeless. You should therefore get immediate advice.

We can:

  • income maximisation - check benefit entitlement including the local housing allowance rates were applicable, help with fast tracking housing benefit and discretionary housing payments, use of the homeless prevention fund. Read more about housing benefits »
  • request a schedule of rent arrears from your landlord to check it is correct
  • provide budgeting advice/prioritising outgoings using income expenditure form
  • refer to debt counselling, if multiple debts
  • negotiate an arrangement to clear arrears with landlord
  • check the possibility of referring to a rent officer or rent assessment committee. A rentaAssessment committee is a tribunal in England and Wales set up under the rent acts to assess fair and market rents of properties
  • if a property is in disrepair ask for legal advice about offsetting arrears against disrepair

What is the tenant responsible for?

The tenant is usually responsible for minor repairs to internal areas whilst the landlord is generally responsible for the structure, the exterior, electrics as well as provision for space and water heating.

The tenant is responsible for:


For keeping furniture in good condition, but the landlord may be responsible for replacing furniture worn out by natural wear and tear.

Internal decorations

The tenant is responsible for minor repairs to internal decorations unless the disrepair is caused by dampness or "wear and tear" (then it becomes the landlord's responsibility).


Tenants should not have to redecorate a property unless

  • they have damaged the decoration, or
  • it is specified in the tenancy agreement

For further information on any disputes that arise through this please contact our housing advice.

If you want to decorate the property yourself, you need the permission of the landlord, who can specify what changes you are allowed to make.

Electrical appliances

The landlord will not usually have an obligation to maintain or replace electrical appliances like fridges, freezers, washing machines and cookers unless stated in the tenancy agreement. If there is no written tenancy agreement, the landlord may be responsible for these items.


It is often the tenant's responsibility for the upkeep of a garden, but tenants are not required to clean up or carry out improvements to a garden already in a mess. If there is no written tenancy agreement, the landlord is usually responsible for garden repairs unless you agreed otherwise when you moved in.


As long as your tenancy has a fixed term of less than seven years, your landlord is required by law to be responsible for repairs.

Read more »

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 25 Oct 2017 at 10:46