Hillingdon Shared Lives
The Hillingdon Shared Lives (HSL) scheme helps approved adult placement carers share their home and time with someone in need.
The Shared Lives Carers is a person-centred service, with service users being very carefully matched with Shared Lives Carers.
About Shared Lives
Shared Lives offers support to vulnerable adults with various and /or complex needs:
- long term housing with care and support
- short term housing with care and support
- emergency placements
Who is it for?
It is for adults aged 18 and upwards with:
- a learning disability
- a physical or sensory disability
- recovering mental health
- an older person who needs support
Who can become a carer?
Anyone. What is important is the time you can spare and to be aware of an individual's needs. Carers will need to have a spare bedroom available for the placement.
Applicants must live in the London Borough of Hillingdon.
Carers are self employed and receive a fee for the care provided. The fee for long term placements comprises of three elements:
- Housing Benefit claimed by the service user
- Contribution paid by the service user towards utilities
- Payment from the relevant care commissioning team
Qualifications are not necessary, just previous experience of caring either in a professional or personal setting. Training will be provided to help ensure they have the relevant skills and knowledge to be able to care for individuals.
Carers undergo a robust application and assessment process before being approved as Shared Lives Carers.
How is the support provided?
Support will be provided by an approved Shared Lives carer who has the experience and skills to meet your needs in your home.
Depending on your needs, the carer can support you with
- personal care
- access to health care and finances
- helping you to enjoy life
- joining in the community
- to be as independent as possible
If you are interested in becoming a carer and want further information contact Hillingdon Shared Lives scheme.