Until the 20th century Hayes was made up of five villages, Hayes Town (also called Cotmans Town), Wood End, Botwell, Yeading and Hayes End.
Information about local areas of historical interest.
Hillingdon's open air pool
The pool was built in 1935 at Hillingdon House Farm and operated for 63 years until it was closed in 1998.
A history of the Manor Farm site
Manor Farm is on the site of the ancient administrative centre of the manor of Ruislip.
The origin of the name is unknown. There is one theory that the Frays River began when a tree falling across the Colne deflected a branch of the river away from its natural and persistent channel. What seems more likely is that it is a man-made diversion of the River Colne created to power mills in the Uxbridge area. It is also sometimes known as the Uxbridge and Cowley Mill Stream, the Cowley Stream or Colham Mill Stream.
The Pinn is an ancient rivulet, which is one of the feeders of the Colne. It was at one time also known as Ruislip brook and is nearly twelve miles long.
The name, Ruislip probably derives from the Old English words for "rush" and "leap", meaning a place where the river Pinn was narrow enough to jump across.
The area we now know as Ruislip Manor was covered with open fields at the beginning of the last century. It was part of the Manor of Ruislip which was owned at that time by King's College, Cambridge.
The road from London to Oxford is a very ancient and important route. The town of Uxbridge grew up as a daughter settlement of the village of Hillingdon, along the road where it crossed the River Colne. Uxbridge is not mentioned by name in the Domesday survey of 1086; it is probably included with the entries for Hillingdon and Colham.