Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Register a building of worship

Under the Places of Worship Registration Act 1855 a congregation may apply that their place of worship is certified as such.


This is done by applying to the Superintendent Registrar of the district where the building is situated who will provide a copy of Form 76 (form for certifying a place of meeting for religious worship under the Places of Worship Registration Act 1855)

Should a congregation wish the place of worship to become registered as a place where marriages can take place they would need to complete Form 78 (certificate and application for the registration of a place of religious worship for the solemnization of marriages under section 41 of the Marriage Act 1949). This should be dealt with if possible together with the original application for a place of worship. However, it can only be requested after the date of certification of the building as a place of worship.

When the completed forms and payment have been received by the Superintendent Registrar they will be sent to the Registrar General for authorisation. 

If the application is successful the building will be certified as a place for worship or marriage and the Register Office will then advertise the new place of worship in the London Gazette and a local newspaper. The certificate would then be sent to the applicant, stating that it is now a place for worship and marriage.

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related column

Contact us

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 11 Apr 2017 at 14:48