Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act

Fines for littering and dumping rubbish.

Fixed penalty notices are issued for offences that were previously dealt with as prosecutions. This will affect both residents and traders in Hillingdon.

binbags Residents and traders  

  • Failure to comply with a waste receptacles notice
  • Failure to produce waste transfer notes on demand

Traders only

  • Failure to produce authority to transport waste
  • Failure to comply with a litter clearing notice
  • Failure to comply with a street litter control notice

Fines range between £80 to £300 depending on the offence. Failure to pay the original fine can lead to prosecution.


Fixed penalty for dropping litter has increased from £50 to £80.

To pay a fine contact us.

Did you know?      flytip

  • If you continually let your rubbish spill out over the street. A warning letter will be sent to you before a notice is served. If a notice is served you will need to use a standard domestic waste bin to store the black sacks between collections.
  • If you employ a person to remove waste, you need to make sure that this person is a registered waste carrier. If this waste is dumped illegally you are both liable.
  • If you allow a third party to take your rubbish away you must get a waste transfer note from them showing their name, address, waste carriers number and where they have taken your waste to.
  • As a trader you must have a contract in place with a registered waste carrier for trade waste removal.
  • If you are a small trader and you take your trade waste to a licensed waste disposal site, you must obtain waste transfer notes from the operators of the facility.
  • As a trader if you are found to be storing your waste in an unsuitable way you are in breach of your duty of care. A notice will be served requiring you to use a trade waste bin.
  • If you carry waste as part of your business you must have authority to transport that waste, you can apply to the Environment Agency for a licence. Ensure that you have your licence ready for inspection.

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related column

Contact us

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 24 May 2017 at 10:58