Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

How many rooms are allowed for each household?

Information on how many persons can occupy a bedroom.

We do not take any other rooms into account when this is worked out, only bedrooms. For example:

HouseholdBedrooms in property

Living rooms in property

Total rooms


Family A - couple with one child




2 room

Family B - couple with 1 girl aged 6 and 1 boy aged 8




2 room LHA

Family C - couple with 1 girl aged 6 and 1 boy aged 12




3 room LHA

Family D - couple with 2 girls (or 2 boys) both children aged under 16 years    3    2    52 room LHA

Family B are entitled to two bedrooms. If they rent a property with two bedrooms but only one living room so have three rooms, their benefit will still be worked out using the two room LHA.

Single people under 35:

Single people aged under 35 get the shared accommodation rate of Local Housing Allowance (formerly known as the single room rent) no matter what size of property they rent.

Non-resident overnight carers

From April 2011, a bedroom that is used by a carer (or team of carers) who don't actually live in the customer's home can be taken into account when working out how much Housing Benefit to pay.

Joint tenants

Joint tenants are people who are not a couple but share a property and are named on the tenancy agreement. Joint tenants will get the Local Housing Allowance for their own household, not including the family of the other joint tenants, unless some or all of the joint tenants form their own 'household'. There is no strict definition of the word "household" but the following will be considered:

  • The circumstances the people came to be living in the same house
  • Payment for the accommodation
  • Arrangements for storing and cooking of food
  • Eating arrangements
  • Domestic arrangements (cooking, cleaning, gardening, household maintenance)
  • Financial arrangements
  • Other evidence of 'family life'

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 18 Oct 2017 at 10:24