Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Regulated tenancies and setting a fair rent

Renting your home from a landlord.

If you were renting your home from your landlord before the 15 January 1989 then you will probably have the right to ask a Rent Officer to decide what is a 'Fair Rent' for your home. When a 'Fair Rent' is set by the Rent Officer then this is the rent the landlord must charge and the tenant must pay.

The Rent Officer is an independent official of both Hillingdon Council and the Government. They follow rules set out in the Rent Act 1977 to decide what a 'Fair Rent' for a property would be.

The Rent Officer will consider all the circumstances of the property and the tenancy but does not look at the personal circumstances of the tenant or the landlord.

When the Rent Officer sets a fair rent it is recorded in a register which you can ask to look at to see what the level of rents in your local area are before you apply for the rent to be set. Remember that a Fair Rent may not always be lower than the rent you currently pay.

Read more on regulated tenancies »

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related column

Useful websites

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 18 Dec 2017 at 13:56