Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Advice and assistance for young and single people

We offer advice and assistance to single people, not in priority need, as defined by the homelessness law.

Group of young people

We work in partnership with organisations like P3 Navigator and Paradigm Housing Association Safe Stop and Hostels to ensure your needs are me.

16 and 17 year olds

Homeless prevention work with social services and the voluntary sector services to help young people in housing need and ensure they have enough support. Our aim is to keep young people safe in their family home or if they must leave their current accommodation to do so in a co-ordinated and planned manner.

We also organise educational roadshows for young persons, visit schools and advice pupils about the implications of being homeless and the options available to them. Newborn

Lone teenage parents

We can refer lone teenage parents to a teenage pregnancy support worker for an assessment of their housing, care and support needs in order to ensure they have and remain in suitable accommodation.

Safe stop

Hillingdon Council, in conjunction with its partners, has a safe stop scheme in place for 16 or 17 year olds. This scheme gives young people safe temporary accommodation for up to 28 days and they are responsible for the rental cost. This helps to see if the problems they have with the person, who asked them to leave, can be resolved so they can return home.

Private renting and hostels 

In January 2012 the housing benefit single room rate restriction was raised from the age of 25 to 35. This means that single people will only be entitled to a shared room rate Housing Benefit until they reach the age of 35. There are a limited number of exemptions to this where an applicant:

  • has lived in a homeless hostel for three months or more
  • is aged between 25 and 35
  • was offered and accepted support services to enable them to be rehabilitated or resettled in the community during their time at the hostel

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 15 Jan 2018 at 13:56