Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Council tax: single person discount

The full council tax bill assumes that there are two or more adults (i.e. people aged 18 or over) living in a property.

Young couple

The full council tax bill assumes that there are two or more adults (i.e. people aged 18 or over) living in a property. 

If you are the only adult living in your property your council tax bill may be reduced by 25%.  In some cases there can be more than one adult living in the property but all but one are disregarded for council tax purposes.

Discount Disregards »

There are also other discounts available for unoccupied properties which are not the sole or main residence of an individual.

Exempt Properties »  

Please be advised that a temporary absence such as an extended holiday would not qualify for a single person discount.

If you think you may be entitled to the 25% discount, please print the single person discount application form [59kb].

Once completed and signed, return to:

LB Hillingdon Revenues & Benefits Service
PO Box 1120
Number 1 Market Street

Once your discount has been awarded an amended bill will be posted to your home address. Please continue to pay your installments in accordance with the bill already issued until you have received confirmation, in the form of a revised bill, that you are entitled to the reduction.

More information

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related column

Contact us

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 17 Aug 2017 at 12:35