Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Light nuisance

The light can be very bright and can become a nuisance, preventing you from sleeping. Find out how to deal with your neighbours or to report it.

LED lighting

The Anti-social Behaviour Investigations team investigates light nuisance reports from people who live in within the borough.

Most commonly reported complaints are from lighting being installed poorly in both commercial and domestic properties.

Where we can't help

We cannot take action if normal levels of artificial light shines onto your property. Some commercial properties do not apply:

  • railways
  • tramways
  • bus premises and any associated facilities
  • public service vehicle operating centre's
  • goods vehicle operating centre's
  • prisons-including Youth Offenders Institutes

What you can do before reporting it

Before you report a complaint against your neighbour, we advise you to speak to them as they may not be aware of the light troubling you. Your neighbour will certainly be upset if they hear of a complaint from the council so do approach them first by politely requesting:

  • moving or partially shading the light
  • fitting an infra red sensor
  • using a lower wattage bulb as they are much cheaper and far more efficient.


What we can do  

If your neighbour is unwilling to take action please report it. Once you have reported a problem with light nuisance an officer will contact you to arrange a visit.

Report it

If we witness a statutory nuisance, then we will serve an abatement notice. This is a legal document that we serve on the person responsible for the light nuisance, or the owner or occupier of the premises. It instructs them to stop the light nuisance and not allow it to restart.

The notice is normally served on the person responsible for the nuisance, however if that person cannot be found the owner or occupier of the premises causing the nuisance will be issued with the notice instead.

Note: If you want us to resolve this problem for you, and we need to take legal action to do it we may have to disclose your personal details. For example, if we serve a legal notice on the person causing the problem they will have a right to know who made the complaint if they decide to legally appeal against the abatement notice in court. Similarly, if a case goes to the court you may be required to give evidence.


If the notice is not complied with, the person served with the notice may be prosecuted. They could be fined:

  • £5,000 maximum fine in domestic nuisance cases
  • £20,000 for commercial and industrial nuisance cases

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related column
Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 31 Aug 2017 at 14:19