Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Your waste, your responsibility

As a householder you are responsible for what happens to your waste, even if it has left your premises.

Household Duty of Care

If you want to dispose of household waste you may decide to take it to one of Hillingdon's Civic Amenty Sites.

Alternatively, if may decide to employ an individual or a company to take your waste away from your property. Always remember that you have what the legislation calls a 'duty of care'. Duty of care means that you must take reasonable steps to ensure that people removing waste from your premises are authorised to do so.

These reasonable steps are:

1. Check their waste carrier licence

If you transfer your waste using a waste removal company, you should take reasonable steps to ensure that they are a registered waste carrier.  You should always ask for their waste carrier licence number and check whether it is a valid one by contacting the the Environment Agency on 08708 506 506. You can also use the Environment Agency online validation check .

2. Obtain a waste transfer note

Ask for a Waste Transfer Note [65kb] and check that this has been completed correctly. You may refer to the Chartered Institution of Wastes Management's checklist.

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related column
Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 12 Apr 2017 at 08:41