Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Busker's and street entertainers

Registered street entertainers may apply to the council for a busking licence.

Registration summary

To enable an application for street entertainment to be considered, it will first be necessary for an entertainer to register with the licensing service.

Registration will be for a period of two years after which the registration will lapse unless renewed.

Licence summary

  • Once registered, an application may be made to the licensing service for a street entertainment licence.
  • A successful application will enable the applicant to busk in Uxbridge Town Centre at four authorised locations.
  • These are the only locations in the borough where street entertainment will be allowed.
  • Individual sessions will be limited to two hours, either 10am to midday or 2pm to 4pm.
  • A licence will be valid for one pitch per session only.

Designated street entertainment pitches

The following plans show locations of the designated Street Entertainment Pitches, marked with a red O, being 1.5 metres radius from numbered street light columns. Select a map below for large images of the designated areas:

Pitch 1

(lamp post No.13)

Pitch 2

(lamp post No.19)

Pitch 3

(lamp post No.34)

Pitch 4

(lamp post No.48)

Pitch 1

Pitch 2

Pitch 3

Pitch 4


  1. All pitches are located in High Street, Uxbridge. No other locations within the London Borough of Hillingdon are designated as Street Entertainment Pitches.
  2. Permission, if granted, does not allow the sale of goods or services or collection of money for charity.
  3. The council reserves the right to refuse permission for any performance or activity which may be considered as controversial or likely to cause offence to residents due to religious, political, moral or other significant reasons.

Eligibility criteria

You must be a performer of a satisfactory nature and standard as deemed by the authority.

Fees and charges

  • There is no charge for registration
  • The fee for a busker's licence is £27.50

Regulation summary

Application evaluation process

The authority will consider each application on its own merits, particularly the:

  • nature of the performance
  • standard of the performer
  • location of the performance

Registration and Renewals

As part of the registration process, we will need to receive the following information:  

  • documentary proof of the applicant's National Insurance Number
  • a copy of a valid passport, with a work permit if non European Citizen
  • a passport sized photograph of each person or persons wishing to undertake street entertainment, which must be signed by that person on the back
  • satisfactory evidence of public liability insurance - minimum sum of £2,000,000, that must be checked by the council each year
  • established performers should provide relevant references from other Local Authorities or London Underground Limited or establishments where those applicants are currently performing

How to apply

For new applicants, there is a two-stage process:

  • registration
  • licensing

Applicants who are already registered with Hillingdon Borough need only submit a licence application.

Before submitting your applications, please read our  conditions [137kb].

Register now

Apply for licence

We will aim to acknowledge your application via e-mail within three working days.

Your application form and the appropriate fee [207kb] must be received a minimum of ten working days prior to the date of the intended activity. Applications that do not comply, or are unsigned, will be returned to you without consideration.

Note: We cannot process your completed form until we are in receipt of the current licence fee, which can be a cheque, made payable to the London Borough of Hillingdon, or payment over the telephone using a credit or debit card.

Target completion period

  • An application for a busker's licence will be processed within 14 working days (tacit consent applies)

What happens if your application is not processed by the local authority within the timescales stated?

Tacit consent applies. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the Local Authority by the end of the target completion period. If we have not contacted you, please get in touch with us. You can do this online if you applied through Business Link, or contact the Licensing Service.

Please note, that tacit consent will only apply for applications that you submit electronically or when your business can show proof of delivery from a post office or recognised courier.

Failed application redress 

Please contact the Licensing service in the first instance.

Licence holder redress 

Please contact the Licensing service in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint, you make the first contact with the trader, preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked and you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice consumer service will give you advice. From outside the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.


Should you need to complain about, for example, noise, pollution, etc. or should one licence holder have cause to complain about another, please contact the council's contact centre in the first instance.

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related column
Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 06 Feb 2018 at 12:15