Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Licence to keep dangerous wild animals

If you intend to keep dangerous wild animals, other than in a zoo or pet shop, you must apply to your local authority for a licence.


Licence summary

The Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 aims to ensure that where private individuals keep dangerous wild animals they do so in circumstances which create no risk to the public and which safeguard the welfare of the animals.

No person in Hillingdon may keep a dangerous wild animal unless they have first obtained a licence from the council.

What you need to know before applying

Licence duration: A licence comes into force on the day on which it is granted and shall remain in force for two years and then expire.

If an application for renewal is made before the date of expiration of the licence to be replaced the subsequent licence will come into force from the date of expiry of the licence it replaces.

Eligibility criteria: Applicants must be over 18 years of age and must not have been disqualified:

Exemptions: This licensing procedure does not apply to animals kept in:


Type of application Fee
Application for licence £75
Application to change licence £55

How to apply

Before a licence is issued the council will appoint a veterinary persons to carry out an inspection. If and when possible the council will look to appoint a person who is specialist in the animal or animals that is wishing to be licensed. An additional fee will apply.

As part of the online process you may be asked to upload documents e.g. public liability insurance or confirm dates when fire fighting appliances were serviced etc. You will not be able to complete and submit the application form without this information.​​

Apply for licence

If you are uncertain whether you require a licence or in the event of the death of a licence holder please contact the contact the Applications Processing Team.


  Further information about the application process [25kb] »

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 20 Sep 2017 at 11:10