Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Help with renting privately

Through our private renting schemes Finders Fee, Find Your Own and the Homeless Prevention Fund we can help prevent homelessness.

Lady opening front door

Finding your own private rented accommodation

Privately renting has many advantages such as:

  • you choose where you live. That way you can be near your support network, schools, employment, hospitals and GP
  • you find the property of your choice. You may be eligible for help towards your rent by claiming Housing Benefits. Housing benefits is a welfare benefit to help people pay their rent. It depends on your income, savings or capital and other factors.

Where to look for private rented accommodation

You can register with Estate Agents on most High Streets within Hillingdon (we advise you to visit them in person rather than enquire by telephone). You can look through Yellow Pages, Thompson Directory, The Gazette and newsagent's windows which are all very useful.

If you have access to the internet you can look for properties on the following property sites:

Find out the local housing allowance (LHA) rates for the area you are looking at properties. 

Need help with renting privately

We can assist in negotiations with landlords and can offer advice on all aspects of renting.

In 2013 there were significant changes which affected welfare benefits. The information below, which is regularly updated, provides some guidance on the changes.

  • Local Council Tax reduction scheme
    The national Council Tax Benefit scheme was abolished, by central government. All councils now set their own local council tax reduction scheme.
  • Housing benefit changes
    Changes for those living in social sector rented properties, claiming local housing allowance and information on the benefit cap.
  • Discretionary housing payment
    If you receive housing benefit but have difficulty meeting any shortfall in your rent and your landlord refuses to reduce the rent, you can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment.
  • Changes to Disability Living Allowance
    Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is being introduced to replace Disability Living Allowance (DLA).
  • Universal Credit
    Universal Credit replaced some benefits which are administered by the Department for Work and Pensions.

Setting a fair rent

Renting your home from a landlord.

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related column
Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 18 Dec 2017 at 13:47