Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Skip operator registration

Skip hire companies will need to register with the council before placing a skip on a public road.

Registration summary

Before a skip operator can place a skip on the public highway, the applicant must obtain permission, in each instance, from the Regulatory Service. We will only grant permission to the skip owner.

Although a licence to operate as a skip company is not required, Hillingdon Borough Council must register the skip operator before it can process an application.

Please note that there are legal requirements that a skip operator must adhere to when transferring and managing waste. The Environment Agency advise on and manage that process. 

Our registration process checks to ensure that you have this legally required licence.


What you need to know before applying

Any organisation with an intention to apply for a permit can register. Only when we have validated a registration will a skip operator be able to apply for a permit to place a skip on a public road or highway.

If we accept and agree a registration, we will publish the registered organisation's contact details to members of the public.

Application evaluation process

There should be:

  • no outstanding monies owed to the authority
  • no records of poor performance or failure to comply with conditions
  • up-to-date insurance and other necessary records

Your completed registration form must contain the following:

  • a copy of a public liability insurance valid for the full duration of the proposed permit with a minimum cover of £5,000,000
  • a copy of a waste transfer note
  • a waste carrier's licence certificate
  • a goods vehicle operator's licence

How to apply

Apply now

Fees and charges

There is no fee for a registration. 

Target completion period


Processing Times

Tacit Consent

Application for a skip operator registration

10 working days


Application to change a skip operator registration

5 working days


What happens next

If your application is not processed by the local authority within the timescales stated tacit consent applies. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period. If we have not contacted you, please get in touch with us. You can do this online if you applied through Business Link, or contact the Regulatory Service Team.

Please note, however, that tacit consent will only apply for applications that you submit electronically or when your business can show proof of delivery from a post office or recognised courier. 

Failed application redress

Please contact the Regulatory Service Team in the first instance.

Licence holder redress

Please contact the Regulatory Service Team in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint, you make the first contact with the trader, preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked and you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice consumer service will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress

Should you need to complain about, for example, noise, pollution, or should one registration holder have cause to complain about another, please contact the council's Regulatory Service Team in the first instance.

Trade associations

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 30 Mar 2017 at 09:28