Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Skip permit

To put a builder's skip on a public road, you need a permit from the council.

Once a valid application for a skip permit has been submitted and the approval process started then no refunds will be made.

Where parking restrictions apply applicants must obtain any necessary exemption from Parking Services prior to completing the application.

Permit summary

You will need a permit from the local authority to place a builder's skip on a public highway, ie a carriageway, footpath or verge. The householder or the building contractor is not responsible for obtaining the permit. That responsibility rests solely with the skip supply company.

Only skip operating companies registered with the council [117kb]​ can obtain such a permit.

For skip companies wishing to register with the London Borough of Hillingdon, please contact the Licensing Service Team or go to skip operator registration.

Regulation summary

The Permit Holder shall ensure compliance with the relevant statutory provisions, the most important of which are:

Application evaluation process

Please be aware that we will accept your application online, however some situations can be quite complex so a site visit may be required to assess whether it is safe to place a skip in a particular location.

Typical conditions that could affect permission are:

  • siting of the skip
  • skip dimensions
  • making skips visible to traffic
  • care and disposal of skip contents
  • lighting and guarding of skips
  • skip removal
  • within 50 metres of a school
  • on road less than 5 metres wide
  • less than 15 metres from junction or bend in the road
  • on a main A or B road
  • within 15 metres of a width restriction
  • on a High street

Online applications

Please note that the council will no longer accept paper application forms and payment by cheque or cash for a registration/licence. We will now only process applications submitted and paid for online.

How to apply

The online application form will allow you to place a builder's skip on a public road. Before you start your application, please ensure you have:

  • a valid credit or debit card
  • the full address of the premises outside which the skip will be placed
  • your unique reference number
  • the appropriate fee [207kb]

Before submitting an application for a new permit, or applying to extend an existing permit, please read our conditions [60kb].​

Apply now 

Note: Submission of an application form and payment does not mean you have instant permission, so do not put a skip on the highway without a valid permit.

Target completion period


Processing Times

Tacit Consent

Application to place a skip on a public road or highway

5 working days*


Application to extend a skip permit

3 working days


 * unless a site is required by a Highways Officer

What happens if your application is not processed by the local authority within the timescales stated?

Tacit consent will not apply, this means that there is a risk to public safety. So it is in the public interest that the Local Authority must process your application before it can grant a licence. If we have not contacted you by the end of the target completion period, please get in touch with us. You can do this online if you applied through Business Link or contact the Licensing Service Team.

Failed application redress

Please contact the Applications Processing Team in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint, you make the first contact with the trader, preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked and you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice consumer service will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress

Should you need to complain about, for example, noise, pollution, or should one licence holder have cause to complain about another, please contact the council's contact centre in the first instance.

Trade associations

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 30 Mar 2017 at 09:28