Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Temporary road closure application

Hillingdon Borough Council can make a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO) when it is necessary to prohibit or control traffic and pedestrians along the highway.

TTRO summary 

A TTRO can cover planned situations or those whereby immediate regulation is required. The authority can also issue them retrospectively for emergencies. We normally use TTROs to allow essential or emergency works to be carried out on the highway. Typically, installation of, or maintenance works to, services such as gas, electricity, water, and also to manage public events etc.

The process of arranging a TTRO requires that an application be made to Hillingdon Council for approval for which a fee is payable. It will become the responsibility of the applicant to ensure all the correct traffic management systems are in place once we have approved an Order and made it enforceable.

Eligibility criteria

Hillingdon Council can make TTROs when it is necessary to prohibit or control vehicular and/or pedestrian traffic along a highway because of planned works or public events on or near the road.

Regulation summary

Application evaluation process


Applicants must take steps to ensure that sufficient consultation has been carried out with:

  • emergency services
  • public transport services
  • other stakeholders including the Traffic section at the council.

Diversion routes

Applicants must have a valid, signed diversion route to enable a road closure.

Notice periods

Prior to the event/works, applicants must give at least six weeks and preferably, where possible, three month's notice.

Essential procedures

When, at the request of the Emergency Services or on advice from the council, the Event Organiser or Works Promoter plans to introduce:

  • temporary waiting restrictions
  • the closure of roads

The applicant must complete the following procedures

Contact the council's Traffic Orders Officer

Submit either an online application form or contact the council's Traffic Orders Officer within the Improvements Project team. The Traffic Orders Officer will enable the applicant to discuss and provide notice of the proposals, request the paperwork necessary to fill out an application for the TTRO and arrange payment;

Contact the council's Traffic Manager

Contact the council's Traffic Management team, to confirm that the Traffic Manager is aware of the proposals and has agreed that the TTRO can be raised for the introduction of the temporary restrictions on the network.

Contact the Police

Contact either of the following, to inform them of the proposals, if those proposals were not at the request of the Police. 

TTRO application agreed

Once the council has agreed to raise the TTRO the Event Organiser or Works Promoter must then write to all of the affected stakeholders and frontagers listed below.

  • Local residents
  • Local businesses
  • Bus and Public Transport Operators (road closures only)
  • Local schools, community centres, hospitals
  • Any other stakeholders listed by the council

At least two weeks prior to the proposed TTRO restrictions, the applicant must inform those stakeholders and frontagers about the restrictions coming into force.

Erect Public Notices

The applicant must erect Public Notices on lamp columns in the local area. The applicant must do this at least seven days prior to the restrictions raised in the TTRO coming into force. The Traffic Orders Officer will provide advice on the number and location of Public Notices. The council will supply the Public Notices.

Arrange for 'No Parking' cones (applicable for temporary parking restrictions only)

The applicant must contact both the Parking Operations (Enforcement) Manager and the Street Scene Maintenance Manager 10 days prior to the event or works. To request that 'No Parking' cones be placed in the roads where the restrictions apply during the times specified on the TTRO and Public Notice eg 7am to 7pm, and arrange payment for the supply of cones.

Erect advanced warning signs (applicable for temporary road closures only)

The applicant must erect Advanced Warning signs on the approaches to the road that the TTRO proposes to close The applicant must do this at least seven days prior to the restrictions raised in the TTRO coming into force. These warning signs must inform road users of:

  • the road(s) to be closed
  • the duration of the closure
  • details of the works
  • contact details for information

Provide a diversion route plan (applicable for temporary road closures only)

The applicant must provide a plan for approval to the Traffic Manager showing the proposed diversion route and the allocation of diversion signage and seek approval from neighbouring authorities, if needed, four weeks prior to closure.

What happens if your application is not processed by the local authority within the timescales stated?

Tacit consent​ will not apply. This means that there is a risk to public safety through inappropriate use of the highway. So it is in the public interest that the Local Authority must process your application before it can grant a permit.

If we have not contacted you by the end of the target completion period, please get in touch with us. You can do this online if you applied through Business Link, or contact the Traffic Management Team.

Target completion period

We will process your application as quickly as possible and, in any event, within the following timescales.


Processing Times

Tacit Consent

Application to temporarily close a road

90 calendar days


How to apply

Apply online    EU logo (small) : This link opens in a new window

An online application will require you to register with Business Link, a quick process that gives you an online account that you can use across different government services.

We aim to acknowledge your application within three working days. If you have applied online we will acknowledge your application via e-mail.

Help (small) Help is provided about online applications.

Application form

If you prefer to apply by post or in person, you can download the form below.

Once completed, send or bring the form with the appropriate fee to the address on the form together with a cheque made payable to the London Borough of Hillingdon.

Failed application redress

Please contact the council's Traffic Orders Officer within the Improvements Project team in the first instance.

TTRO holder redress

Please contact the council's Traffic Orders Officer within the Improvements Project team in the first instance.

Complaints about temporary traffic regulation orders

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint, you make the first contact with the trader - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked and you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice consumer service will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress

Should you need to complain about, for example, noise, pollution, etc. or should one licence holder have cause to complain about another - please contact the council's contact centre in the first instance.


Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 27 Feb 2018 at 09:52