Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Portable traffic lights permission

You must apply for permission if you propose to take up part of a road for construction activity and that process requires the erection of temporary traffic signals.

traffic lights

Permission summary 

If you erect temporary traffic signals on the public highway in the London Borough of Hillingdon to facilitate roadworks, you must ask for permission from the council. Temporary traffic signals are traffic lights that are in position temporarily, normally to direct traffic whilst you carry out roadworks or undertake work on walls and bridges.

Regulation law

If you have any doubts if permission is required, contact the Traffic Management team.

Note: Transport for London is responsible for all traffic signals in London, including those within the borough. Any observations should be addressed to faultcontrolfaults@tfl.gov.uk.

How to apply

Approval to erect portable traffic lights on the public highway will only be granted to statutory undertakers or highway authority works promoters or the contractors/agents.

Your application for a permit will require you to submit the following:

  • a 1:1250 scale map of location
  • a site plan
  • a plan of works
  • signal timings
  • stakeholder comments

Current practice is for applicants to submit their own electronic application form.    

Note: For multiphase signal control approval, you may apply to the Street Works Manager for a hard copy of the specific site approval application form. Once the application form is complete, email, post, fax or hand-deliver it to the Traffic Management team.

There is no charge for permission to erect portable traffic lights on the public highway.

Application evaluation process

The Traffic Management team may give permission subject to conditions relating to the following:

  • all portable light signal equipment must conform to the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions Regulation 35
  • it is the responsibility of the promoter to arrange in advance with the relevant highway authority the adjustment or suspension of permanent traffic signals, pedestrian crossings, bus lanes or bus stops, controlled parking, traffic regulation orders etc
  • if they are the most suitable form of traffic management
  • the signals do not cause a conflict with diversion routes or other works traffic management and will be considered as part of the co-ordination of roadworks

Target completion period

We will process an application for a permit to place portable traffic lights on the road within 10 working days (tacit consent will not be applied).

Although placement of portable light signals for the following categories of work does require formal authorisation, these applications will follow an agreed fast-track process.

  • emergency
  • urgent
  • special cases of urgent and remedial
  • dangerous

You must establish in advance with the Traffic Management team any arrangements for fast track authorisations, including relevant out-of-hours contact numbers and procedures. We must receive full retrospective applications for Formal Authorisation for any fast-track applications, in accordance with our out-of-hours procedures or by 10am the next working day, whichever is the sooner.

What happens if your application is not processed by the local authority within the timescales stated?

Tacit consent​ will not apply, this means that there is a risk to public safety through inappropriate use of the highway.

So it is in the public interest that the Local Authority must process your application before it can grant a permit. If we have not contacted you by the end of the target completion period, please get in touch with us. You can do this online if you applied through Business Link, or contact the Traffic Management Team.

Failed application redress

Please contact the Street Works Manager in the first instance.

Licence holder redress

Please contact the Street Works Manager in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint, you make the first contact with the trader, preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked and you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice consumer service will give you advice. From outside the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress

Should you need to complain about, for example, noise, pollution, or should one permit holder have cause to complain about another - please contact the council's contact centre in the first instance.

Note: Transport for London is responsible for all traffic signals in London, including those within the borough. Any observations should be addressed to faultcontrolfaults@tfl.gov.uk.

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related column
Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 08 Feb 2018 at 08:24