Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Projections over a highway

You must have a licence for any displays that may protrude or project over a public highway, such as canopies, blinds, CCTV equipment, or parts of buildings or standalone constructions that bridge a highway.

Oversail of highway

Licence summary

Under normal circumstances the highway should be free from obstructions at surface level and of physical projections at any height above the highway. Highways include carriageways, footways, cycleways and verges. Anything that causes interference with the space above these is not normally permitted. On occasion, a projection over the highway is allowed. Applications must be made by the owner of the proposed projection and/or the land to which the projection is associated. 

In the London Borough of Hillingdon, a licence is required to cover projections over the highway in relation to the restriction on:

  • construction of buildings over highways 
  • placing rails, beams over highways


What you need to know before applying

Eligibility criteria

The applicant will need to consider and accept the responsibilities placed on a licence holder and provide:

  • full details of the proposed projection including the type, purpose, construction method and location
  • evidence of public liability insurance valid for the full duration of the proposed licence with a minimum cover of £5,000,000
  • confirm that they are owner
  • proposed commencement and finishing dates

Licence holder conditions

  • Contact all organisations who may have an interest in the highway to notify them of the proposal, seek objections or concerns and obtain copies of existing apparatus in the location in question.
  • Ensure works are planned correctly and carried out safely and expeditiously.
  • Ensure that all conditions applied to the licence are fulfilled.
  • Notify the highway authority of any issues that arise.
  • Ensure the projection is maintained and does not cause a danger to the public or damage to the highway infrastructure including other buildings and/or apparatus.
  • Indemnify the highway authority against all claims including injury, damage or loss arising from any aspect of the apparatus or structure licensed including installation, maintenance and removal.
  • It is necessary that suitable insurance is in place for the life of the licence and must cover a minimum of £5,000,000 for each claim with no limit to the number of claims.
  • Ensure the licence is correctly transferred to a third party if the land/apparatus is sold.

Note: A fee will be payable at the time of application and further conditions in addition to the standard conditions may be applied.

How to apply

Apply by post or in person, Download an application form to print off and complete by hand.

Fees and charges:  Fees for all applications: 2016-2017 [207kb]

Note: Payment of the application is received upfront before assessment.

What happens next 

  • The application will be validated to ensure that the applicant has confirmed that they are the owner of the projection and agree to the licence conditions.
  • The proposal will be reviewed and consideration given to alternative options, the effect on the highway and potential risk to the highway infrastructure and the public.
  • Evidence of third party agreements will be reviewed if applicable.
  • The proposed installation and construction method will be considered.

Further information about the application process [25kb] »

Trade associations

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 11 Sep 2017 at 09:36