Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Early years, children, young people

Working with children and young people can be exciting, challenging and very rewarding.

Children, Young People, Health and Social Care

Every child deserves the best possible start in life and needs the support of well trained and dedicated professionals to fulfil their potential. Working with children and young people can be exciting, challenging and very rewarding. A career in this field can offer flexibility around family life with plenty of progression opportunities, perhaps to full-time work, higher education or even setting up your own business!

Once you have decided that you want to care for children professionally, you need to consider the various types of childcare before choosing the career best suited to you and the qualifications required for this role.

At Hillingdon Adult and Community Learning, we can support you towards a career as an Early Years practitioner in nurseries or pre-schools, or a support role in primary and secondary schools, including learning support assistants, teaching assistants or learning mentors. These are some of the most common roles in childcare settings, but have you thought about more unique roles? After studying with us, you could consider a career as a:

  • Registered Childminder
  • Hospital playworker 
  • Community nursery nurse 
  • Nanny / au-pair
  • Family support worker
  • Outreach worker
  • Residential care worker

Whatever your choice, role or route you might choose, you can be certain that no two days will be the same. Each of our courses are designed to provide you with the knowledge, skills and competencies needed to support children to explore, experience and develop an understanding of the world around them as they grow.

Search and book course

New for 16/17

L2 Certificate An Introduction to Early Years Education and Care

This qualification prepares you to work with children from birth and five years and includes knowledge of working with children up to seven years.


Do you want to earn while you learn? We offer a range of childcare apprenticeships such as Early Years and Supporting Teaching and Learning, that enable you to combine working with studying for a nationally recognised qualification. Call us on 01895 676690 and speak to our Employer Engagement Officer or email pjoshi@hillingdon.gov.uk to discuss the opportunities that may be available to you.

Childminder briefing session and Childminder initial assessments

The local authority regularly runs briefing sessions for adults wishing to become childminders. 

Book now

Following this, you can attend an initial assessment event for our childminding courses.

Childcare Initial Assessments 

To enrol onto a childcare course you will be required to undertake an initial assessment, these can take up to 1.5 hours to complete.

Dates for future assessments are below. Please note that you will need to have a work placement, before you can enrol.

Wednesday 14 June 2017, 10am start at Brookfield ALC

Thursday 15 June 2017, 10am start at Brookfield ALC

For further information or to book onto an initial assessment, please call one of our adult learning centres on 01895 556455. 

Find a course [6Mb]

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 24 Jan 2018 at 15:48