Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Payments to council and private tenants

If you qualify for housing benefit then this is paid in a number of different ways.

Happy couple

Councils tenants

If you are a council tenant then your housing benefit will also be paid as a rebate. Any benefit you get is taken off your rent leaving you with less rent to pay.

Private tenants

If you are a private tenant then the date your housing benefit application was made will determine the options you have on the payment of it.

If you have received housing benefits continuously since before 7 April 2008 you can choose whether we pay you or your landlord. If we pay you, it will be paid into your chosen bank account every two weeks. If it is paid directly to your landlord it is paid into your landlord's chosen bank account every four weeks. To pay your landlord directly we need your landlord to complete and sign a declaration form.

If you have made or make a new, repeat or change of address claim on or after 7 April 2008, the housing benefit must be paid into your chosen bank account. You cannot choose to have your housing benefit paid directly to your landlord. However, we will pay your landlord if:

  • you have rent arrears equivalent to eight weeks or more rent, or
  • your landlord reduces your rent to an affordable amount, or
  • we decide you are unlikely to pay your rent if we pay you, or
  • we decide you are not able to manage your own financial affairs

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 24 Jan 2018 at 15:04