Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Legal notice

If you are planning to get married or form a civil partnership in the UK, there are legal preliminaries that must be completed before the ceremony can take place.

If you are planning to get married in the Church of England or or Church in Wales, speak to the vicar of the church. There is usually no need to involve your local register office.

If you are planning to have a ceremony in a church or religious building that is not Church of England or Church in Wales, in one of the many approved premises within the UK or at a local register office, you need to give a Notice of Marriage or a Notice of Civil Partnership to a register office. This is a legal procedure by which you declare your intention to marry or form a civil partnership.

If you are planning to marry or form your civil partnership abroad you need to ask the relevant embassy for advice. They will advise what documentation will be needed. Please do this before contacting a register office as you may need to give notice to us. The rules vary between countries. Please be aware we can only take notice for a marriage or civil partnership abroad from British nationals. If you are a non British national please contact your embassy for information.

If you and your partner are either British or EU passport holders, then you need to attend an appointment at your local register office so you can give your notice.

If you or your partner are a non EU passport holder you need to attend together, at a designated office. This is a register office able to produce legal paperwork for individuals subject to immigration control wishing to get married in the UK.

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 11 Apr 2017 at 14:48