Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Your residency status before giving notice

You both need to have lived in the area in which you wish to give notice for at least seven full days, immediately before giving notice.

For example, if you arrive on Tuesday 1 March, the seven day period starts the following day, Wednesday 2 March, and is complete on Tuesday 8 March. You can then give notice on Wednesday 9 March.

This applies to everyone, including those travelling from overseas for a marriage or civil partnership in England and Wales.

Exceptions to this are listed below (providing neither party are subject to immigration control):

For marriages:

  • British or Commonwealth citizens are able to give notice in the country they are living in. The country needs to be signed up to the British Subjects Facilities Acts 1915 and 1916. The other party must be a resident of England or Wales.

For marriages and civil partnerships:

  • if one party to the marriage is resident in Scotland, they may give their notice in Scotland. The other person needs to be resident in England or Wales.
  • officers, seamen or marines on one of Her Majesty's ships at sea can give notice to the captain or other officer commanding the ship. The other person needs to be resident in England or Wales.

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 11 Apr 2017 at 14:48