Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search


Answers to some key questions about Individual electoral registration (IER).

What is IER?

This is a new system of registration which has been introduced to ensure greater confidence as to the identity of electors and improved access to the registration process.

How is the new system different?

  • You need to provide a few more details to register - including your national insurance number and date of birth. This makes the electoral register more secure.
  • You can now register online on www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
  • Everyone is responsible for registering themselves. Under the old system the 'head of every household' could register everyone who lived at their address.

Once a person is registered under IER their registration is continuous until they move to a different address or for any reason are no longer eligible to remain registered as an elector.

What this means

The start of IER will involve confirming the identity of current electors by comparing entries in the register against national data sets. If you're registered before June 2014, most people should be automatically transferred to IER and do not need to do anything else.

Some people will need to provide additional information in order to stay on the register. We will let you know how to do this, when to do it and provide you with help if you need it.

How will you know if you are registered under the new system

If you are included on the Register of Electors by July 1 and your identity information matches other government records, you will receive written confirmation in July/August that you are registered to vote under the new system.

Do I need to do anything?

If you received a letter confirming you are registered under the new system you do not need to do anything.

However, you may need to register under the new system if:

  • you received a letter telling you that you needed to re-register, or
  • you have changed address since you received a confirmation that you were registered, or
  • you did not receive a letter.

To find out more go to www.gov.uk/yourvotematters

How do I register or update my details (e.g. change my name or address)?

Registering to vote is easy:

  • visit  www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
  • fill in your name, address, date of birth and a few other details. You'll also need your National Insurance number, which can be found on your National Insurance card, or in official paperwork such as pay slips, or letters about benefits or tax credits.
  • when your information is verified, we will send you an acknowledgment letter.

When you can register in more than one place

It's sometimes possible to register at two addresses (although you can only vote once in a UK Parliamentary election). For example, if you're a student with different home and term-time addresses, you may be able to register at both.

If you want to register at two addresses, go online at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote and make two separate applications. Your local Electoral Services Office will look at each application and tell you whether you're allowed to register.

What are the two registers?

Using information received from the public, registration officers keep two registers - the electoral register and the open register (also known as the edited register).

The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections. The register is used for electoral purposes such as making sure only eligible people can vote. It is also used for other limited purposes specified in law, such as detecting crime (eg, fraud), calling people for jury service and checking credit applications. 

The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details. Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed. Removing your details from the open register does not affect your right to vote.

How do I join or get removed from the open register?

If you are registering online at  www.gov.uk/register-to-vote you can click the checkbox if you do not want your name and address listed on the open register.

Permanently 'opt out' of having your personal information used for direct marketing purposes

Under Section 11 of the Data protection Act 1998, you can now give the Electoral Services Officer notice that you do not want your personal information to be used for direct marketing either permanently or until further notice.

To do this, complete and return the  Permanent opt out request form [99kb] or e-mail electoralservices@hillingdon.gov.uk

You cannot do this on behalf of another person. Each individual who is registered to vote at a property must complete a form or email the Electoral Services team separately.

What happens if you don't register

If you meet the conditions for registering to vote (e.g. you're 16 or over and you're British or a national of an EU or Commonwealth country) and you're invited to register, you have to do so.

If you're invited to register and don't do so, your local Electoral Registration Officer could impose a civil penalty fine of £80.

You won't be fined if you have a valid reason for not registering, eg a long stay in hospital, or you have severe learning difficulties.

To find out more go to www.gov.uk/yourvotematters.



Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related column

Contact the team

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 06 Feb 2015 at 09:15