Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Applying for a Year 10 school place

If your child was born between 1 September 2004 and 31 August 2005 you may want to apply for a year 10 place for September 2019.

Applying for a Year 10 school place

This alternative school provision allows your child to study for their core subject GCSEs, but also gain qualifications in areas not normally taught in mainstream school. There are four studio schools or university technical colleges in Hillingdon:

The Government has recently made it a legal requirement that all Local Authorities must write to parents and carers of all pupils of Year 9 age, to tell them about schools in or within travelling distance of the Local Authority area that admit pupils at the beginning of Year 10.

The Government wishes to ensure that parents and carers are well informed about all the options available for children of this age. This does not mean that you have to move your child to another school - for the great majority of children, the school they are already attending will remain the most appropriate place for them to continue their education.

Schools which admit pupils in Year 10 are called University Technical Colleges (UTCs) or Studio Schools. So if this option is of no interest to you, please disregard this letter.

UTCs are set up by universities and business and specialise in one or two technical subjects. In years 10 and 11 they offer a similar GCSE curriculum to a typical secondary school, including English and Maths, as well as their specialist subject. You can find out more at www.utcolleges.org/utcs/

Studio schools are similar to UTCs in that they have employer involvement in the curriculum and focus on developing skills needed for employment, involving personal coaching and work experience. They have a similar curriculum to a typical secondary school. 

How to apply

From the 1 September 2018 you will be able to make an application for a UTC/Studio School to start in September 2019.

De Salis Studio College and Parkside Studio College

To apply for a place at De Salis Studio College and/or Parkside Studio College.

Apply now

UTC Heathrow

To apply for a place at UTC Heathrow, please contact the school directly to make an application.

Hillingdon Studio School or UTC

Residents of other boroughs wishing to apply for a Hillingdon Studio School or UTC should contact their own local authority for details on how to make an application. 

Global Academy

Register your interest for a place at Global Academy

Open events for Global Academy

  • Thursday 10 January 2019 from 5pm
  • Thursday 28 March 2019  from 5pm

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 07 Feb 2019 at 10:51