Support for vulnerable residents

We have formed a community hub with a range of organisations, voluntary groups and individuals to support residents in Hillingdon who are vulnerable during the coronavirus outbreak.

In this section:

Information for residents at very high risk 

The government has identified more than 1.5 million people in England, including some Hillingdon residents, as being at very high risk of severe illness as a result of coronavirus (COVID-19). 

To protect these people, a measure called shielding has been introduced.

The government has recently updated its guidance. If you are shielding, you should continue to take precautions but you can leave your home as long as you follow the guidance. 

Shielding guidance is being relaxed in stages, subject to clinical evidence:

  • on Monday 6 July, the guidance for the clinically extremely vulnerable was relaxed to allow shielded individuals to meet in a group of up to 6 people outdoors, including people from other households, and also form a 'support bubble' with one other household (one of the households in the 'support bubble' should be a single adult household)
  • from Saturday 1 August, the clinically extremely vulnerable can stop shielding. The guidance will be updated to allow this cohort to go to the shops and places of worship, while following current social distancing rules

Read the government's updated guidance for those shielding

We have also contacted Hillingdon's most vulnerable residents to offer support. If you think you or someone you know should have been contacted but hasn't been, please contact our community support hub on 020 3949 5786 or email The hub is open from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday. It is closed on Saturdays and Sundays.

Support for care homes

We have published correspondence and a template relating to Infection Prevention and Control. This details how we will support all CQC-registered care homes within Hillingdon in dealing with the current pandemic.  The action plan demonstrates how, in conjunction with partners, we will ensure that all social care providers have the right level of support now and in the future.

Food parcels for people who are being shielded

The government is working with the food industry, local government, local resilience and emergency partners, and voluntary groups to deliver weekly food parcels to people who are at the highest risk but do not have family or friends to help them. The parcels include essential non-perishable supplies, such as pasta, cereal, fruit, tea bags, potatoes, tinned goods and toilet paper. 

Please note: This service will be available until Friday 31 July. From Saturday 1 August, individuals can visit shops and pharmacies. Other forms of support, such as priority supermarket delivery slots, the NHS Volunteers Scheme and a range of local volunteer schemes, will continue.

View the support supermarkets and voluntary organisations are offering to our residents [37KB]

If you are concerned about support after Saturday 1 August, please email or call 020 3949 5786.

Community support for vulnerable residents

The council is providing a range of services to support the most vulnerable members of our community at this difficult time.

H4All -  a partnership between 5 Hillingdon charities - is assisting us to deliver this support.

If you are unable to leave the house because you're ill, because of your caring role or if you are self-isolating due to the coronavirus and do not have a friend, neighbour or family member available to support you, then we can offer peace of mind.

Our services include:

  • help with food shopping - if you are unable to find a neighbour, friend or family member who is available to shop for you, then we can help to ensure you get a food delivery
  • emergency food parcels - H4All can deliver a box of essential food items to eligible residents
  • a regular telephone call - if you are feeling lonely and isolated or struggling with your emotions during this time, then we can call you for a friendly chat, as frequently as you need, to see how you are getting on
  • information and advice - our skilled advice team will contact you on the telephone to support you through the complexities of the welfare benefits system, if you are eligible to claim, we will help with your claim and answer any questions you may have
  • dog walking and posting mail - if you need someone to walk your dog or to post letters we can help

If you are on a special diet for medical reasons or need essential equipment, we will do our very best to help.

This is a free service, with the exception of food shopping, which will be arranged individually.

Food parcel or shopping requests made after midday on a Friday will be delivered on a Monday.

If you would like to use this service, email or call 020 3949 5786 from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday. It is closed on Saturdays and Sundays.

Note: The hub's bespoke shopping service has now ended. The hub will be signposting residents to alternative services if needed. Emergency food parcels will continue to be offered for those who have no other options.

Could you volunteer to help?

If you'd like to help the community and deliver support to Hillingdon residents most in need, please fill in our online form with your details.

Complete our form

Additional support

If you or someone you know needs help, the council may be able to offer additional support.

  • Daily living tasks - anyone who feels that they may be struggling to manage their own or a relative's daily living tasks, such as personal care, may benefit from home care.
    Read more
  • Hot meals - Apetito can provide a hot or frozen meals service to residents in need.
    Find out more
  • Housing - Discretionary Housing Payments may be available to top-up housing-related benefit for a limited time to cover housing costs, such as rent.
    Find out more
  • Council tax  - if you're really struggling, you may be able to claim a reduction in council tax.
    Find out if you qualify and apply online
  • Over-65s - we offer a discount scheme on council tax for households where the taxpayer or their partner is aged 65 or over.
    Find out how to apply or you can call 0300 1231384.
  • Social care - The government has provided guidance for those who receive support through direct payments. This information is also available in an easy read format. Skills for Care have also published guidance for individual employers (PHB holders and direct payment recipients) and PAs during this challenging period. 

Day centres

Due to the vulnerability of the residents who access these services, day provision at Grassy Meadow Dementia Resource Centre and Queens Walk Resource Centre has been suspended until further notice. 

If the closures of these facilities affect you or your family, please contact our Social Care Direct team so that we can review alternative support. You can get in touch by emailing or calling 01895 556633. 

Please be aware of scammers

Residents are also being reminded to be on their guard against scammers and bogus callers, following reports that some unscrupulous individuals and groups are using the coronavirus crisis to target vulnerable people. Please do not let strangers into your home or hand over cash or credit/debit cards or PIN numbers, and dial 999 immediately if you think you have been visited by a bogus caller. 

The Metropolitan Police has published a guidance document on recognising potential phone scams [343KB] .

See further crime prevention advice from the Metropolitan Police.

Page last updated: 08 Jul 2020