Keeping Hillingdon safe

We are urging residents to adhere to the government's national coronavirus (COVID-19) restrictions to protect themselves and others.

We all have a part to play in combating this deadly virus. By staying at home, remaining vigilant and pulling together to adhere to the restrictions, you will be protecting the NHS and saving lives.

If any of your friends, family or neighbours do not have access to our website or social media pages, please share this information with them, ensuring you follow social distancing guidelines.

In this section:

National lockdown: Stay at home

Hillingdon, along with the rest of England, has moved into a national lockdown with immediate effect. This means you must stay at home.

You may leave the home to:

  • shop for basic necessities, for you or a vulnerable person
  • go to work, or provide voluntary or charitable services, if you cannot reasonably do so from home
  • exercise with your household (or support bubble) or one other person, this should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area.
  • meet your support bubble or childcare bubble where necessary, but only if you are legally permitted to form one
  • seek medical assistance or avoid injury, illness or risk of harm (including domestic abuse)
  • attend education or childcare - for those eligible

Find out what you can and cannot do

The government has published details of how it plans to ease lockdown restrictions. Read more on GOV.UK

Staying safe outside the home

Hands Face SpaceIt remains vitally important to continue to follow the rule of 'Hands. Face. Space' by:

  • washing your hands regularly for at least 20 seconds with soap and water or sanitiser
  • wearing a face covering when required
  • making space by keeping 2 metres apart from others who aren't in your household

Avoid touching your face, and cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve when you sneeze.

You should wear a face covering that covers both your nose and mouth when in public indoor spaces, such as supermarkets, hospitals and public transport (unless you are exempt).

The penalty for failing to wear a face covering is £200 for a first offence, doubling for further breaches up to a maximum of £6,400.

Read more on face coverings

You can exercise alone, with the people you live with, your support bubble, or one other person from another household, once a day.

From Monday 8 March, recreation or exercise will be allowed outdoors with people from your household or one other person from outside your household. 

Working from home

You may only leave your home for work if you cannot reasonably work from home.

Where people cannot work from home - including, but not limited to, people who work in critical national infrastructure, construction, or manufacturing - they should continue to travel to their workplace.

What to do if you have symptoms

Coronavirus testIf you have symptoms of coronavirus (a high temperature, a new, continuous cough, or a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste), use the 111 online coronavirus service to check your symptoms. 

Check your symptoms

Only call 111 if you cannot get help online.

If you have symptoms, you should apply for a test to check if you have the virus. Do not wait. 

Get a test to check if you have coronavirus now


Symptoms of coronavirusYou have a legal duty to self-isolate if you have been instructed to do so by NHS Test and Trace.

Penalties, including fines of up to £10,000, will be introduced for those who break the rules.

You should self-isolate if:

  • you have any symptoms of coronavirus (a high temperature, a new, continuous cough, or a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste)
  • you're waiting for a coronavirus test result
  • you've tested positive for coronavirus - this means you have coronavirus
  • you live with someone who has symptoms, is waiting for a test result or has tested positive
  • someone in your support bubble has symptoms, is waiting for a test result or has tested positive

Read about how long to self-isolate 

Read PHE's guidance on how long you and your household need to self-isolate for [1003KB]

It is important to get medical help if your symptoms get worse. See the NHS website for what to do.

For life-threatening emergencies, call 999 for an ambulance.

How to quarantine when you arrive in England

Everyone allowed to enter England from outside the Common Travel Area (Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man) must:

If you have been in a country where travel to the UK is banned, you should follow separate guidance.

These countries are sometimes called the 'red list'. View the red list countries.

Staying safe online

Child OnlineDuring the current pandemic, the police are calling on parents, friends and family to pay particular attention to what young or vulnerable people in their care are looking at online.

The police believe that social isolating measures could make some of the most vulnerable people in society more susceptible to radicalisation (the process by which a person comes to support terrorism and forms of extremism leading to terrorism) or other forms of grooming, and that the risk of being drawn into violent extremism may increase for some vulnerable people.

If you have any worries or concerns, visit the dedicated Let's Talk About It website, which has advice and guidance on what signs to look out for and what to do and where to go for help if you think somebody is being placed at, or is at, particular risk of being radicalised and drawn into violent extremism or terrorism.

Accessible formats and different languages

Page last updated: 02 Mar 2021