Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Keeping warm in winter

Are you, or someone you know at risk from being cold?

Keeping warm in winter

As the weather gets colder, we are all more likely to catch colds or flu; and if your body temperature drops, the risks of a heart attack, stroke or breathing difficulties increase. This is especially true for older people, those who have a serious disease or are vulnerable due to a physical disability.

The best way to combat winter is to keep warm and follow as healthy a lifestyle as possible. What you eat and drink, and the exercise you take, can make a big difference. And, as part of keeping well, it is vital to keep your home warm and keep yourself warm when you go out.

Practical advice

  • Try to keep a constant temperature of 18-21ºC (64-70ºF) in all rooms. If this is not possible or affordable, keep one room warm but pre-heat the bed and bedroom before you go to bed.
  • Make sure you have some hot food and drink every day.
  • Take a little exercise every day.
  • Wrap up warmly before going out, no matter how short the trip.
  • Keep warm in bed at night.

Read more practical suggestions »

If you need help

You can contact us direct or someone else can on your behalf.

Depending on the nature of the request, you will be contacted/visited by a social worker, occupational therapist or social services officer to discuss the difficulties you are facing, and the help you require to manage independently in your home. We call this an assessment.

How do I get assessed?

You will have an assessment if any of the following describe your situation:

  • if there is serious risk of harm to yourself or others and you do not have someone to help you
  • you are emotionally or psychologically unable to cope with your daily living situation
  • if you are at risk of being unable to live independently
  • if you are unable to look after yourself (for example, you cannot get out of bed, wash or dress yourself) and are highly dependent on others in order to remain at home, or return home following a stay in hospital
  • if you need a lot of help with looking after yourself and where there are many different people (such as social workers, district nurses, home carers) involved in looking after you
  • if you are very dependent and looked after by a friend or relative who can no longer help because they themselves are in poor health or are getting older
  • if you are looking after a relative, friend or neighbour and providing regular daily care for someone, and need your own situation assessed
  • you are registered, or registerable, under the 1948 National Assistance Act, 1970 Chronically Sick and Disabled Act, and 1986 Disabled Persons Act, and meet one of the above criteria

If you are not sure you are eligible for assessment, social services will be able to tell you.

For adults whose needs stem from having a mental health problem, an assessment of their needs will be offered either by a mental health social worker, mental health nurse, or by another mental health professional.

Don't be put off by the process. If you need help now because of the cold weather call Social Care Direct on 01895 556633 - we want to help.

Other sources of information

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 06 Dec 2017 at 11:17