Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Parking bays for the disabled

The council have powers to install parking bays solely for the use of disabled motorists and endeavour to assist people with disabilities by providing bays close to their home wherever possible.

Disabled Person Parking sign

A disabled persons parking bay is a parking space marked on the public highway by a white painted box with a sign indicating that it is for the use of blue badge holders only and operational at all times.

Even when it is provided in response to a request from a householder the bay is available for any blue badge holder to use.

The council is pleased to consider requests from residents for these bays and has developed a criteria to consider applications.

Assessment criteria 

  • The applicant must be a resident of Hillingdon borough and a registered Blue Badge holder, with severe mobility difficulties.
  • The applicant must be in receipt of the higher rate mobility component of a disabled persons living allowance (or attendance allowance if over the age of 65).
  • A car must be registered at the address stated in the application form.
  • Where off-street parking facilities are available a bay may only be provided if the applicant can demonstrate that the facilities are unsuitable for the use of a disabled person, due to the nature of their disability.
  • Disabled person's parking places will only be approved at locations where road safety will not be adversely affected by their provision.

Applications will not normally be considered for:

  • dial-a-ride, taxis, hospital drivers or others for the purposes of picking up of or setting down passengers
  • visitors or carers

Where disabled person's parking bays have been provided in response to an individual request and are no longer necessary due to a change in circumstances, or are reported to be unused, they will be removed.

Applying for a parking bay

Apply now

Contact our traffic services for more information​ »

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related column
Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 10 May 2017 at 12:19