Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

For parents in education or looking to return to learning

Childcare help for parents who want to study.

Group of adults

Further education and work-based learning courses

Care to Learn

If you are under 20, Care to Learn can help with your childcare costs while you are learning - whether at school, college or with a work-based training provider.

Care to Learn can pay registered childcare costs, and associated travel, up to £160 per child per week (£175 in London).

Childcare must be registered and costs are paid direct to the childcare provider while travel costs are paid direct to the learning or training provider.

Find out more by calling the Learner Support Helpline on 0800 121 8989 (opening hours 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.) or visiting Care to Learn website

Discretionary Learner Support Fund

Each further education college has a Discretionary Support Fund to help students who face financial hardship. It can help with a variety of costs including registered childcare. To apply for the Discretionary Support Fund at your college, visit Student Support or the Welfare Officer. Funds are limited so you should make an application as soon as possible.

Higher education courses

Childcare Grant

To be eligible you should be a full-time student with a child aged up to 15 (or 17 if your child has special needs) and pay for registered childcare. If you qualify, the grant can cover up to 85% of your childcare costs during term time and holidays, up to a maximum of £155.24 per week if you have one child, or £266.15 per week if you have two or more children.

You can not claim the grant if you receive the childcare element of Working Tax Credit.

For further information, visit the Childcare Grant website.

Parents' learning allowance

This allowance is to support you in course-related costs such as travel, books and equipment. You could get between £50 to £1,508 per year depending on your household income. You can apply for this when you apply for student finance.

Access to learning fund

This funding may provide extra financial support for higher-education students who are in hardship. The funding is made available through your university who will consider your individual circumstances. You should contact your student services or student welfare officer to make an application.

Finding out more

  • Ask your student welfare advisor or tutor for information about childcare while you study or train.
  • The Family and Childcare Trust website provides more information about childcare help for students.
  • Ask the Families' Information Service for information about finding and choosing high quality childcare that will suit your child.

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 04 Aug 2017 at 14:58