Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Maintaining the highway

Find out what the Street Scene Team are responsible for and the roads we don't maintain.

What we do

The street team deal with the following services:

  • safety and condition surveys
  • public Liability claims
  • licensing of activities on the highway
  • control of developers work on or adjacent to the public highway
  • enforcement of the Highways Act 1980
  • control of street trading
  • co-ordinating all works on the public highway (New Roads and Street Works Act).
  • provide a "winter gritting" service to selected borough roads.
  • Storing and delivering sand bags for use in flooding situations.
  • the sale of broken paving (crazy paving) to members of the public.
  • the sale of salt bags to schools and social services.
  • providing 'No Parking' cones for various functions and funerals.
  • road and pavement repairs
  • street furniture repairs (includes street nameplates, bollards, seats and litterbins)
  • highway inspections,
  • highway drainage maintenance
  • footpath and bridleway maintenance
  • construction of vehicle crossings

What we don't deal with

Hillingdon Council is not responsible for a number of roads and the subways under them this includes those that are the responsibility of Transport for London.

  • A4 Bath Road
  • A40 Western Avenue
  • A30 Great South West Road
  • A312 The Parkway
  • A4180 West End Road south of Polish War Memorial (including the roundabout)
  • A3113 Airport Way (including the roundabout on Stanwell Moor Road)
  • M4 Motorway including Heathrow spur
  • M25 Motorway

To find out about maintenance, traffic issues or high closure and diversion visit Highways England.

Road items we are not responsible for:

  • traffic lights (including pelican crossings)
  • speed and red light cameras

These are the responsibility of Transport for London, any queries should be addressed to faultcontrolfaults@tfl.gov.uk.

Complaints and more information

If you are dissatisfied with the service you have received or the way you have been treated, we want to know. Complaints help us to improve the service we provide.

If you are not satisfied with the response then you may wish to make a formal complaint. All written complaints will be acknowledged within seven working days and responded to within 10 working days. Read more on how to make a formal complaint.

For more information write to Highways Inspection Manager.

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 08 Feb 2018 at 08:25