COVID-19 testing for residents and essential workers without symptoms
This testing is supplied by NHS Test and Trace and is available to essential workers and Hillingdon residents who are not showing any COVID-19 symptoms but may be asymptomatic and, inadvertently, passing the virus on to others.
As many as 1 in 3 people have COVID-19 without any symptoms and could be spreading the disease without knowing it.
Results are often provided within an hour (but can take up to 24 hours) and they help to identify those who are unknowingly carrying the virus. It also enables those who test positive, and their contacts, to self-isolate, which can help drive down the R rate locally and save lives.
You can only get an asymptomatic test if you book an appointment in advance. Please book one appointment per person.
We currently have asymptomatic testing sites in Hayes, Uxbridge and Northwood; details are provided when you book.
Please do not make an appointment for this test if you have any symptoms (a new, continuous cough, high temperature or change in their sense of smell/taste).
About the testing
- The site has been carefully designed with clinical protocols in place and using purpose-built booths, so that social distancing and strict cleaning processes can be adhered to.
- The test involves individuals self-swabbing (although assisted-swabbing is available upon request) and tests are recommended twice a week, with 3 or 4 days between tests.
- Normally, the testing process takes approximately 15 minutes - this will include the registration process and taking the swab test.
- As part of the swab process, you will be required to blow your nose, so bring some tissues with you if you have any.
- During busy periods, you may need to wait outside, so please wear a coat or something warm.
- Once you have completed the test, you can leave, as your results will be sent to you via text or email.
Arriving at the site
- When you arrive, you will be met by a member of staff who will provide you with information on how to register your test on the NHS website. You will then be provided with a unique barcode to finalise this registration process.
- Once registration is complete, you will be directed to a testing booth where you will be able to complete the swab.
- Testing assistants will be available to answer any questions you have and support you through the process.
Watch our video to guide you through the process
Receiving your test results
- If you have a positive test result, you should isolate immediately and book a COVID test through the government website or by calling 119.
- If your test is negative, continue to wear your mask, wash your hands regularly, follow social distancing and government guidance, and book your next test.
Changing or cancelling your appointment
- When you first make your appointment, you will receive a confirmation email with relevant information about the testing process. It will also give you the option to change or cancel your appointment.
Please note: If you have any COVID-19 symptoms (a new, continuous cough, high temperature, or loss or change to your sense of smell or taste), you should self-isolate and book a test at a local testing site by visiting www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test