Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction

Information on applying for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction (CTR).

CTR only

For those applying for CTR only please go to What is Council Tax Reduction and how to apply.

Housing Benefit or Housing Benefit and CTR

If you are on a low income and need help paying rent and/or council tax, we can help. The amount we can award you depends on two things:

  • how much rent and council tax you pay
  • your (and your partner's/family's) circumstances, such as income and assets and if you have dependant or adult children

The following people are not eligible to apply:

  • anyone who has capital/savings over £16,000 (unless you or your partner are getting the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit, in which case you can apply)
  • most full time students - if a student is not entitled to Housing Benefit/CTR, but they have a partner who is not a student, the partner may be able to make an application
  • if you rent from a close relative, for example parents, and you live in the same property

Housing benefit and universal credit

You cannot claim housing benefit if you are getting universal credit, unless you do not receive a housing element in your universal credit award, for example if you are in supported accommodation.

Universal credit was introduced into Hillingdon by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) on 2 November 2015 for people meeting certain criteria. However, following the budget annoucement on 22 November 2017, the DWP will not be accepting any new Universal Credit claims in the Hillingdon Borough area from 1 January 2018.

Entitlement calculator 

To find out if you are entitled please use the 2017/18  online benefit calculator (this is due to be updated soon)

When to apply

You should submit your claim straight away as any delay could mean you lose benefit, as claims can only be backdated for one month if you have a good reason. If you have claimed universal credit with DWP, you will get help with your housing costs included in your monthly payment.

How to apply

  • Save/upload photographs or scans of original documents (for example a tenancy agreement or wage slips) to your PC.
  • Click on apply now link below and answer our questions.
  • Use the  link on the form to upload documents needed to support your claim (if you are not able to submit your documents with your application, please allow 24 hours to allow your claim to be registered before submitting documents).

If you are not able to complete a full online claim (at this time) as you do not have all the information to hand, you can save and return to the form later. If you do not complete and submit your claim within 14 days of starting, it will automatically be deleted and you will have to restart the process. 

Things to have to hand before you start the online form:

  • yours and your partner's (if applicable) national insurance numbers. If you or your partner do not have a national insurance number please telephone 0300 123 1384 for a paper application form
  • your rent details. A signed tenancy/licence agreement which should include your landlord's name and full address.
  • any capital or assets you and/or your partner (if applicable) may have, such as current accounts or property including accounts even if they are overdrawn
  • any benefits you and/or your partner (if applicable) receive
  • any benefits you and/or your partner receive on behalf of your children eg disability benefits
  • if you and/or your partner (if applicable) work, your employer's name and address, wage slips or latest accounts if self employed
  • details of any pensions you receive from a previous employer or the Government
  • any other income you and/or your partner (if applicable) may have (including annuities)
  • your landlord's bank account details if you are requesting your Housing Benefit payments to go direct to your landlord. You will not be able to submit your claim without this information, if you do not have this information to hand you can enter zero's under the sort code and account code. 
  • your council tax account number (if you know it)
  • if you've claimed before your previous claim reference

You can also use the computers for free at any of the Hillingdon libraries (please make sure you ask to be booked onto the computer with the scanner). Self serve computers are available at the benefits receptions at both the Civic Centre or One Stop Shop in Hayes (please arrive by 4pm to allow time to complete the form).

Please note: Hillingdon libraries can only offer access to computers, there will be no support available to complete applications or scan documents.

Apply now

Note: Access to the online application will be unavailable due to system maintenance (every evening) between 11.15pm and 12.15am. Sorry for any inconvenience caused. 

Please note: If you receive an error message please save your application and submit the form later, please ensure that you submit the form within 14 days of starting the application. 

When using our online system, you need to be aware:

  • you can save your online form at any point and go back to it later (within 14 days). Please remember to take a note of your Citizen Access Benefits key (you will need this to return to your application)
  • documentary evidence should be uploaded with the form before you submit it
  • you must provide us with a phone number and email address so we can contact you; (if you do not give us an email address you will not receive a confirmation email)
  • at the end of the online form you must click 'I agree' after reading the declaration
  • when you submit your online form, please wait as you will be given a reference number and confirmation that it has been successfully submitted to the council
  • once the online form has been submitted you will not be able to upload any further documents. You will need to send these documents separately (see below)
  • please note you may be asked for further evidence once your application has been checked by an officer

It is important you do not delay in making your online application as we normally pay benefit from the Monday following the date the claim is submitted. If you do not have all the supporting evidence available at the time, you have one month to send the information to us  from the date you submit your claim. Your claim will not be dealt with until the supporting documents are received which will delay any payments due to you.

Supporting documents / evidence not uploaded with the application form

We will accept scanned or a photo image of original documents sent to benefits@hillingdon.gov.uk, or they can be uploaded using providing additional documents form.  If you are not able to upload the information / documents at home we have free computers for use in our Benefit Self Serve area at the Civic Centre Uxbridge and Hayes One Stop Shop. The Self Serve areas are available between 9:00am and 5:00pm Monday to Friday with a last entry of 4:30pm.  Free computers are also available in our libraries. If you send original documents by post, we will photocopy your documents and send them straight back to you (we do not recommend you post your passport or building society pass books).

View your housing benefit details

If you already get housing benefit, you can check your claim details online. This includes viewing housing benefit payments we've made, details about your next payment and entitlement.

Contact us

Opening hours: Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm 
Tel:  0300 123 1384
Email:  benefits@hillingdon.gov.uk
Mail: London Borough of Hillingdon
         Revenues and Benefit Services
         PO Box 1120
         Number 1 Market Square
         Lancs  BB9 7LJ

Further information


Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related column
Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 09 Mar 2018 at 08:19