Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Freedom Pass

The Freedom Pass is provided by the Borough of Hillingdon to give older people and disabled Londoners free travel on almost all public transport in London.

Couple walking

Were you born between 1950 and 1955?

If so, there will be a change in the legislation from 6 April which will mean that the age at which older people will become eligible for a free travel pass will be later than their 60 birthday. Please check the date that you will be eligible for this pass for free travel at the London Councils website. To work out your pensionable age use the State pension calculator.

If you are a current Freedom Pass holder or hold a disabled Freedom Pass you are not affected by this change.

The older persons Freedom Pass gives free travel on most public transport in London 24 hours a day (after 9.30am on most National Rail services within the London area), and all day at weekends and public holidays. This pass may also be used to travel on local bus services in the rest of England under the terms of the Concessionary Bus Travel Act 2007.

Apply or renew your pass

You can apply, or renew, an older persons freedom pass online by visiting the London Councils website for further information »

If you are unable to apply online or do not have access to a printer to download the application form, please call the Hillingdon Social Care Direct team on 01895 556633.

You will need the following documents to support your application:

  • proof of your identity
  • proof of your address
  • one colour passport-sized photograph

Disabled freedom pass

People with disabilities are also entitled to a Freedom Pass and should  complete and return an application form [235KB] or contact Social Services at the Civic Centre for further details 01895 556633.

Disabled Freedom Pass holders enjoy 24-hour free access on the capital's tube, bus and tram services and on national rail services in the capital at anytime.

You are only allowed to hold one freedom pass at any one time.

To renew your Freedom Pass visit the Freedom Pass website »

Change of address

All change of addresses have to be submitted with proof of address via the post directly to London Councils who manage the Freedom Pass database.

Pass holders are advised to ring 0300 330 1433, they in turn will notify us.

For more information visit the freedom pass website.

Lost, stolen, damaged or faulty passes?

Contact the Freedom Pass helpline: 0300 330 1433 (local call rate, open Monday - Sunday 8am to 8pm) or email info@freedompass.org

Freedom Pass holders who lose or damage their passes will be charged £12 for replacements.

The Freedom Pass is paid for by your local council and the scheme is managed by London Councils on behalf of the London boroughs.

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related column

Useful websites

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 20 May 2019 at 11:49