Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Event permit

An event permit will be required if a person or organisation would like to erect a table and/or display on the pavement or in a pedestrian area.


What you need to know before applying

Licence laws

If an organisation wants to erect a table/stand outside of Marks and Spencers on the high street to give out leaflets and information for a period of time they will need to complete an events permit.

Please note that this is not the same as a Street Trading Pitch licence since no items are being sold or services being offered.

You will need a permit if you are intending to put on a display or event which restricts the use of the pavement to pedestrians. To support your application you will need a valid insurance certificate and a copy of the map indicating the spot where you would like your table and/or display to be.

The permit will last for the duration of the intended activity.

Application evaluation process

  • You must send your application form and supporting documents 14 working days prior to the intended activity.
  • Your permit must be available on the day and produced when asked.
  • If you lose your permit you will be able to obtain a copy permit by calling the contact centre on 01895 556000.
  • Your permit cannot be used to cover multiple events, a new one will be required for each event.

How to apply

You can apply online and we will acknowledge your application via email. We aim to acknowledge your application within three working days. 

Apply now

Fees and charges

Provided you are not trading, there is no charge for a permit.

What happens next

Application for permission to use the highway for an event or display will be processed within 14 working days. If your application is not processed by Hillingdon Council within the timescales stated tacit consent applies. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the target completion period. If we have not contacted you, please get in touch with us.

Failed application/licence holder redress

Please contact the Regulatory Service Team in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint, you make the first contact with the trader, preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked and you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice consumer service will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress

Should you need to complain about, for example, noise, pollution, etc or should one licence holder have cause to complain about another, please contact the council's contact centre in the first instance.

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 24 Sep 2018 at 14:23