Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Are you eligible to apply?

You can claim Housing Benefit if you have not claimed Universal Credit and you are responsible for paying rent for where you are living.

Group of people

If you have a rental liability you can make a claim for housing benefit whether you are working or claiming other benefits (not Universal Credit). However, if you rent from a close relative and you live in the same property you will not be eligible to Housing Benefit.

Special rules will apply to some people who claim housing benefit and you may not qualify for benefit if you are:

  • a student
  • subject to immigration control
  • in hospital
  • in prison
  • living in a residential care or nursing home
  • a young person, aged 16 to 17
  • someone who maintains two homes
  • if you rent from a close relative, for example parents, and you live in the same property.

If you fall into one of these categories you should contact us for more information.

You will not qualify for housing benefit if you have more than £16,000 in savings unless you are getting the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit.

If you are in receipt of Income Support, income related Employment and Support Allowance or income based Job Seekers Allowance you will normally qualify for housing benefit if you make an application.

If you are working then your application will need to be assessed to see if you qualify but as an example a single person, over 25, living alone would qualify for some housing benefit if they had an income of £180 after tax and were paying an eligible rent of £80.

Whether you are working or not how much you are paid will depend on

  • your age
  • who else is living with you
  • the rent you pay
  • what savings you have
  • how much money you have coming in

Use the benefit calculator to see what you might be entitled to.

If you wish to make a claim please go to Apply for Housing Benefit 

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related column
Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 25 Aug 2017 at 13:35