Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Temporary absence from your home

When you are receiving housing benefit and council tax reduction you are required to be living in the property for which you are claiming benefit / reduction.

  • The Housing Benefit temporary absence rules changed from 28 July 2016.
  • The Council Tax Reduction (CTR) temporary absence rules for pensioners changed from 1 April 2017.

There are exceptions to this rule which mean that some people can continue to claim benefit / reduction while absent from their property provided:

  • you intend to return to your normal home
  • you are liable for the rent / council tax and
  • the part you normally occupy has not been rented out to someone else

If you are going to be away from your property for a length of time please tell us before you leave.

For further details please see the Temporary Absence Rules - Working age [55kb] or Temporary Absence Rules - State Pension Credit age [54kb].


Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 01 Sep 2017 at 12:27