Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Vehicle crossings/dropped kerbs

It is illegal to drive over grass verges or pavements unless a vehicle crossing is in place. Find out information and how to apply for a vehicle crossing for business or personal use.

Parking across a driveway

For heavy duty crossings (business use) contact the Customer contact centre on 01895 556000.

Application summary

Driving across pavements and verges can cause considerable damage, and underground pipes and cables are also put at risk. This is potentially dangerous and the costs incurred have to be met by the taxpayers. A crossover strengthens the pavement, preventing damage to it and any public utility services that are below the surface. They also prevent damage to your vehicle that occurs from bumping over the kerb.

You may need planning before applying

Planning permission is not usually required for a crossing, but will be if:

  • the property involved has the frontage directly on to a classified road [30kb]
  • the property involved is a listed building
  • the property involved is other than a house for a single family, eg flat, maisonette, commercial or industrial premises

Note: If it appears that your property comes within one of the above classifications and planning permission is required you should contact the Planning and Transportation Group and obtain planning approval prior to applying for your crossing.

What you need to know before applying

  • Permitted type of vehicles - A private light goods or similar vehicle may only be use a domestic vehicle crossing. It may not be used by heavy goods vehicles or mechanical equipment.
  • Note: If a delivery, such as a skip, is made into the property, and in doing so the delivery damages the crossing, any repairs will be the responsibility of the occupier.
  • Size of the crossing - The width of a standard crossing is 2.44 metres at the back of the public footway. This increases to about 4.58 metres at the kerbline. Crossings up to twice that width or two separate crossings may be built where there is sufficient space .
    Note: A crossing, which covers the full frontage, may not be permitted.
  • Shared access - Where the occupiers of two adjoining properties share a driveway, and wish to build a double width crossing to serve the two sites, one occupier should act on behalf of both parties.
  • Two crossings at the same property (entrance and exit) - Where a request is made for two crossings to serve the property and the space available means that the area between them is less than two metres in width, a decision will have to be made as to the shape of the crossing. Where there is an existing crossing it may mean that this also will have to be modified.
  • Standard finish - The standard finish to vehicle crossings is either tarmac or concrete. This will be decided by the council when you apply for an estimate. If at a later date reinstatement work or changes in the road layout take place, they will match the finish, colour or shape, as far as reasonably practicable, but this cannot be guaranteed.
  • Street furniture may be added - It is possible that an item of street furniture may at any time be positioned on the highway in a location outside that of the agreed crossing, even though this may obstruct the area where there is no wall or similar feature, ie lamp post, telegraph pole, traffic sign.

Find out more about parking within your property (driveways) »

Other things to consider

  • Obstacles to construction - If possible the proposed crossing location should be altered to avoid the obstacle. If this is not feasible, a decision will have to be made by the relevant section as to whether the item should be removed or relocated.
  • Charges will be added on relocation of street furniture - If a Utility Company is required to relocate a fire hydrant, telegraph pole, etc, the charges for such work will be the responsibility of the applicant, who will be required to produce written proof of approval by the Utility Company to the council before a crossing can be built.
  • Lamp columns - If you require the crossing to be constructed in a location that requires the relocation of a lamp post or similar item and the proposed location is possible you will be required to pay the full cost of relocation. This charge could be from £950.00 to £1800.00.
  • Trees - The removal of street trees to facilitate off street parking will only be considered in exceptional circumstances where a tree is dead, diseased or dangerous. There may be a cost to the applicant for any tree removal or replacement following consultation with a tree officer.
  • Note: The proposed crossing should not be located within the drip line of the trees canopy.
  • Grassed Verges - Council policy is to maintain as far as possible the green spaces within the borough as they add to the street scene and prevent large areas becoming concrete and tarmac, to protect utility services and also for safety reasons
  • Note: Where the position of a proposed crossover cuts across a large highway grassed verge approval is unlikely to be given.
  • Parking Management Schemes - If a crossover application that requires alteration to the layout of on street parking bays is approved, the applicant will be required to pay the full costs of any necessary changes to the Traffic Order for the parking scheme. The cost for this is currently £800, but this could be reduced if there are several applications submitted together on a quarterly basis, however this may delay any application. There will also be additional costs to remove a parking bay or for providing yellow lines or white bar markings which will be charged in line with the council's fees and charges.
  • Alterations to your vehicle crossover - We may need to alter the layout of your vehicle crossover at any time, due to modifications in the footway or verge. Every effort will be made to maintain access to your property and the occupier of premises so affected will be given adequate notice of such works.
  • Safety - Any application for the construction of a domestic crossing may be refused or modified on the grounds of safety. The applicant must ensure that adequate sight lines are maintained to allow safe access to their property.
  • Gates across vehicle entrance - Gates fitted across the vehicle entrance to your property may in no circumstances open outwards across the footpath or carriageway. (Highways Act 1980 - Section 153)
  • Discount scheme - To give residents the opportunity of reducing the construction costs the council operates a scheme where a lead resident may submit 4 or more applications for the same road. A 10 percent discount will only apply if four or more residents proceed with the programmed construction.
  • Disabled applicants, applications (on behalf) of disabled residents: If you or a household resident has a substantial and permanent disability (for 12 months or longer) and experience great difficulty in accessing your home you may be eligible for financial assistance towards a vehicle crossing. Please contact Social Care Direct on 01895 556633.

Note: The construction of a vehicle crossing by the council does not give the occupier of the premises any particular rights, except to drive across the footway to gain access to their property with a private or light goods motor car, the crossing itself is part of the public highway. From the date that the council accepts the completed crossing, they will assume responsibility for its maintenance at no cost to the occupier, apart from any damage caused by illegal use by heavy vehicles, etc.

What happens next?

The cost of crossings vary depending on size (area) and any obstructions that may need to be repositioned, so an officer must visit the site.

A £50.00 site/administration fee is charged for all applications and is non refundable even if the application is refused for any reason.

The viability of your proposal will be reviewed, markings will be made on the footpath/kerb line with yellow paint, and then you will be provided with a written quotation for the construction. If there is a problem with the proposal then the council's highways team will seek approval from the Highways Inspectorate.

Submit your application now 

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 12 Jan 2018 at 14:38