Discounts and exemptions

Disregards and occupied annexes

Your council tax bill is based on two or more adults living at the property.

If you are the only adult living in a property you may be entitled to a 25% discount. 

However, the following people may also be disregarded for council tax purposes, which may entitle you to a reduction, even if you do not live alone:

CodeThose who are eligible

Students undertaking a full-time course of higher education which lasts for at least one academic year or calendar year.  Also applies to the spouse or dependant of a student if they are non-British.  


Students under 20, undertaking a course of further education which lasts for more than 3 calendar months and is not a course of higher education.

04Student nurses leading to registration under the Nurses, Midwives and Health Visitors Act 1979.

Foreign language assistants registered with the Central Bureau for educational visits and exchanges.

06School leavers under 20 years of age ceasing their course after 30 April in the year concerned may qualify for a discount until the 1 November.
07Residential care workers employed to provide care or support to another person on behalf of a local authority or charity.
08Hospital patients if their sole or main residence is in an NHS hospital.

Patients whose sole or main residence is in a nursing or residential care home.


Members of religious communities (e.g. monks and nuns).


Members, or a dependant of a member, of an organisation listed under the International Headquarters and Defence Organisations Act 1964 (e.g. NATO).

12A person who is severely mentally impaired.  
13Apprentices earning less than £195 per week.  
14Youth training trainees under 25 years of age undertaking an approved training scheme under the Government's youth training programme.

Persons in respect of whom child benefit is payable, who have reached the age of 18.


Caring for another resident who has a disability (this discount does not apply to partners or to children under 18 years of age).  The carer must live in the same household as the person receiving care.


Prisoners, applies to the prisoner's home in cases where the person is serving a short sentence and is still regarded as having his/her sole main residence in the home.

18Residents of hostels with no fixed abode.

Visiting forces, applies to a person who has a relevant association, within the meaning of Part 1 of the Visiting Forces Act 1952, with a body contingent or detachment of the forces of the country. 

20Persons with diplomatic privileges or immunities. 


Occupied Annexes

Since 1 April 2014, if your property has an annexe that is subject to a separate council tax bill, the liability for the annexe may be reduced by 50% if it is occupied by a relative of the person who is responsible for paying council tax on the main property.  

Note: the above categories are subject to conditions. You should email us at for further details or an application form.

Page last updated: 20 Jul 2023