Education and learning

In this section:

Types of school places for children with SEND

Different school options suit different young people but all schools should be welcoming to and appropriately support children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).

Mainstream school

Many children and young people with additional learning needs can make better, more sustained progress academically and socially if they are able to attend mainstream schools with their peers.

Mainstream schools have specific funding to support children and young people with SEND and every school should have information (a School SEN Information Report) about how they provide this support clearly visible on their website

Where special education provision for a young person or appropriate arrangements cannot be met in a maintained or academy mainstream school, consideration will be given to a placement in more specialist arrangements.

Specialist resourced provision (SRP)

Hillingdon has developed a number of specialist resource provisions in primary and secondary maintained schools and academies, where children and young people attend a mainstream school or academy and have access to additional benefits, such as smaller groups, specialist teachers and teaching assistants, a range of dedicated additional therapy options and a specialist space for individual or small group work.

SRPs in the borough

  • Cherry Lane Primary School
  • Coteford Junior School
  • Deanesfield Primary School
  • Glebe Primary School
  • Harlington School
  • Northwood School
  • Pinkwell Primary
  • St Martins School
  • The Acorns - Hayes Park Primary School
  • Vyners School

Where SRP provision is not adequate, the council will consider the use of a special school.

Special schools

In Hillingdon, there are a number of maintained and academy special schools that provide support for a range of special education needs.

There are:

  • maintained schools
  • non-maintained special schools, which are special schools operated by charities or trustees on a not-for-profit basis
  • independent schools, which are schools privately run

Where parents express a preference for either of these, they should first check that the school has:

  1. been approved by the Secretary of State for Education under Section 41 of the Children and Families Act 2014
  2. indicated it can meet their child's needs
  3. space for their child

Special schools in the borough

Find out more about the schools in Hillingdon and nearby authorities

Page last updated: 18 Jun 2020